Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

J4205 Memory Size

TNone
Beginner

Intel Ark indicates maximum addressable RAM memory for J4205 CPU is 8GB.

It also indicates max Video Memory is 8GB and utilizes CPU memory for this.

I am buying an Asrock J4205-ITX mainboard which has 2 DDR3 SODIMM sockets

Asrock claim to support 8GB in each socket giving a total system memory of 16GB (8GB for CPU + 8GB for Graphics)

Is this real, can the J4205 processor support 8GB for the CPU and an additional 8GB for the integrated graphics?

Or is it a waste of money fitting 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 modules because half of it just doesn't get used.

I have asked Asrock the same question but they have not replied.

So I thought I would ask here

Thanks

Terry

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LMert1
Novice

Hi Terry,

I can't tell for this specific CPU but the maximum memory mentioned on ark.intel.com is not always right.

In my case I have an i7-980X that should support up to 24GB according to ark.intel.com but actually supports 48GB

Since the GPU is intergrated in the CPU I would think the maximum CPU memory would (always?) be the same as the maximum GPU memory.

If 2x 8GB works is a thing you would have to try, but maybe someone from Intel can tell.

Regards,

Leon Merts

TNone
Beginner

Thanks Leon, useful information.

Interesting to hear how your i7 memory size behaves.

I have now had a response from Asrock regarding their j4205-ITX mainboard with Intel's embedded J4205 processor.

Asrock intimates similar to your i7 findings, and say Intel's Ark sometimes underestimates capabilities.

They even sent me a screenshot showing CPUz figures and windows Task Manager reporting 16GB of ram for j4205-ITX mainboard (attached below).

Ivan's response indicates only 8GB of ram will work.

I wonder if there is a difference between reported ram size in windows, and actual ram size the the system will use?

One of my concerns was that if only 8GB is actually used though 16GB is fitted, would I lose the memory throughput improvement of dual channel operation. Since the whole 8GB is found on the first channel. Or perhaps I am barking up a tree and it doesn't really work like that.

I think I will just have to try it.

Cheers

Terry

0 Kudos
LMert1
Novice

Hi Terry,

I my case I know it works. At boot my system makes a ram drive of 24GB in which I mount my images and looking in my system recourses I still have (almost) 24GB to use (minus kernel and kernel modules).

Note: I my case the system runs FreeBSD 11.1

Regards,

Leon Merts

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TeslaUK,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

The maximum memory capacity supported by this processor is 8 GB, if you install more than that your system will only recognize 8 GB.

Is this real, can the J4205 processor support 8GB for the CPU and an additional 8GB for the integrated graphics?

No, the amount of graphics memory in use is dynamically allocated to balance the needs of the operating system and all running applications.

Regards,

Ivan U.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TeslaUK,

This depends on how your system manufacturer configured your system, according to the information we have this processor only supports 8 GB of RAM and if you install more than that it will be wasted.

Now, this is how Intel manufacturer the processor but if your system manufacturer told you that you will be able to use the 16 GB of RAM, then most likely they altered the features and specification of your system to make it work at 16 GB of RAM.

LFM says that it works for him and if he has the system set up like that and it works then it will work for you as well, especially because Asrock confirmed that for you.

I wonder if there is a difference between reported ram size in windows, and actual ram size the the system will use?

Please take a look here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978610/the-usable-memory-may-be-less-than-the-installed-memory-on-windows-7-b https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978610/the-usable-memory-may-be-less-than-the-installed-memory-on-windows-7-b

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Best regards,

Ivan U.