Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Enabling 802.1q tagging for I218-LM on Win10 Enterprise (aka Anniversary Edition)

idata
Employee

Hi Folks,

Working with VMWare Workstation Pro on an x64 Win10 enterprise machine (10.0.14393) (aka Redstone 1 or Anniversary Edition), attempting to get output from different VMs onto different .1q tagged VLANs on a trunk port. Unfortunately, I'm having little success.

Based on my reading, if I install the most current Intel driver package, 22.4.0.1, I should either be unable to create VLANs off the NIC (if I'm missing needed win10 updates), or they should work. I seem to be in a middle ground of some kind. I can create the VLANs just fine. Unfortunately, I get untagged output from the physical port for everything assigned to any VLAN. I doubt it's a sniffer problem since I can see .1q tags from a switch when capturing via the same external USB NIC.

The Intel driver installer refers me to a list of required Win10 updates in a user guide that I'm not finding anywhere. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi MTNess,

Thank you for posting at Wired Communities. Can you share more information and correct my understanding based on what you describe. You have a system with Windows 10 as the host OS. On top of that installed VMWare Workstation PRO as your VM.

The packets get from the VMs are tagged VLANs and passing thru I218-LM (as the trunk port) to the switch with e.g. VLAN 1, VLAN2, VLAN3 respectively. The issue is when the tagged vlans are passing thru I218-LM, all vlans became untagged.

Please provide:

1) How many VMs on your systems?

2) What is the name and version of your sniffer?

3) Please clarify and provide more setup information if there is.

KB4022715 is the Windows 10 update file you need. Looking forward to your updates. Thank you.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Windows 10 is the host OS. VMWare Workstation Pro is the hypervisor.

The packets from the guest VM Linux OSes are untagged. The VMs are running an embedded image where tagging is not available. The VMWare NICs are bridged to host OS VLAN specific NICs. (e.g. VM1 is connected to I218-LM VLAN: VLAN1). I expected that layout to result in tagged data coming out the port.

I'm currently testing with two VMs. This will hopefully scale to a much larger number if my project comes to fruition. I'm sniffing with wireshark 2.4.0.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MTNess,

Thank you for the additional information. Let me further check.

regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MTNess,

Please check on the information below at

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005498.html on how to modify the registry to enable driver to capture vlan tags.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MTNess,

Please feel free to update me if further help needed.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos