Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Latitude 7480 - WD15/K17A Docking Station: Setting up 3 monitors

JShy
Beginner

Our Service Desk environment is rolling out new devices.

Dell Latitude 7480 Laptop

• i5-6300U @ 2.4GHz
  • HD Graphics 520

Dell WD15/K17A Docking Station

• VGA port x1
  • HDMI port x1
  • Mini DisplayPort x1

These are the two options we have for monitors. Not everyone has option 2 so we need to know how to make all three monitors work on both setup options.

Dell P2210 Monitors x3 max resolution 1680 x 1050 **(OPTION 1)

• VGA port x1
  • DVI port x1
  • Displayport (not mini) x1

Dell P2417H Monitors x3 max resolution 1920 x 1080 **(OPTION 2)

• VGA port x1
  • HDMI port x1
  • Displayport (not mini) x1

Our drivers are fully up to date.

We are using Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.

We have tried several adapter combos and are in need of guidance.

On my device I have a VGA connected to my main display, an HDMI>VGA adapter connected to HDMI port of dock and can run 2 monitors. That said as soon as I connect a mini display port to display port cable for my third monitor it will ONLY display in 680x450 resolution. The other 2 stay at 1680x1050.

Can anyone please advise which cables we would need for a three monitor setup.

We are losing a lot of productivity with the lessened visual real-estate.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JEvan6
Beginner

found the issue its a limitation with the dock itself. I would recommend manually lowering the resolution and adjusting the refresh rates in Windows the best you can to get it working.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln296829/how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-dell-dock-wd15?lang=en# Issue5 How to Use and Troubleshoot the Dell Dock WD15 | Dell US

Supported Display ResolutionPassive Cable or Universal Cable without Thunderbolt™ SystemSingle Display (maximum resolution)Dual Display (maximum resolution)Triple Display (maximum resolution)
  • miniDP (DisplayPort): 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz
  • HDMI: 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
  • VGA: 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
FHD (1920 x 1080) or WUXGA (1920 x 1200) @ 60HzSXGA (1280 x 1024) @ 60 Hz

Table 3: Display Resolutions supported by the docking station using a Passive Cable or Universal Cable without Thunderbolt™ system.

Note: For dual or triple display, you may use mDP, HDMI or VGA to connect your monitor. The maximum resolution will depend on the resolution supported by the monitor and the maximum resolution that is supported by Dell Dock WD15 in dual or triple display configuration.

Note: Quad Displays are not supported by the Dell Dock WD15.

Note: Some resolutions may not be supported and hence will be removed from the Intel Graphics Control Panel. Resolution support is also dependent on the monitor's Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) resolution.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You should read this first: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005580.html Frequently Asked Questions for Multiple Displays

The cables used will depend on what connectors the displays have and what connectors the docking port has.

Your processor supports up to 3 displays: http://ark.intel.com/products/88190/Intel-Core-i5-6300U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-6300U Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz) Product Specifications

The use of adaptors is not supported or recommended.

There are plenty of cables out there that do not require adapters. For example:

mini-DP to DP

DVI to HDMI

You can find such cables on Newegg or amazon, for example.

You should enlist the help of your IT/Service Desk department or a computer support shop, or even DELL (who also sells such cables).

You should also check with dell for their laptop and BIOS support of 3 monitors.

Doc

JShy
Beginner

Al,

I have not found useful info in that article.

I do know that the laptops can support three monitors with HD Graphics 520.

We are the IT for our organization and have now tried several cables.

We can get 2 monitors working with 1 VGA connected to main display, an HDMI>VGA adapter connected to HDMI port of dock to VGA on 2nd monitor. That said as soon as I connect a mini display port to display port cable for my third monitor it will ONLY display in 680x450 resolution. The other 2 stay at 1680x1050.

Can you advise why the third monitor will only put out 680x450?

With the port info listed in the post, can you advise a specific setup that will work, as to not lose any more time with mixing and matching and buying cables?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Since it is Dell's laptops and dock, and Dell's BIOS, you should be checking with them.

Doc

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

DELL's guide tells pretty much the same as Al_Hill

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln151719/troubleshooting-multiple-monitor-issues-on-dell-systems?lang=en Troubleshooting Multiple Monitor Issues on Dell Systems

Monitor Resolution Issues

Another issue that you may come across is that your monitors may not display at their maximum or native resolution. These steps can assist you with this issue.

Verify the optimal resolution of your monitors. Again, for Dell monitors, you can verify this by reading the Monitor's manual: www.dell.com/support/manuals

Also, verify that your video card or video chipset can output at the optimal resolution for your monitors. To do this, please visit your video card or video chipset manufacturer for further information.

Updating the video drivers can resolve any resolution issues that you may experience. To do this, follow step 7 from the section above.

Adapters that are used in your multiple monitor configuration can cause resolution problems (for example, using a single link DVI adapter when your monitor may have a native resolution higher than that provided by single link DVI). If you are able to, try removing adapters and only use the cables to connect your monitor and system.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Check out: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005556.html Frequently Asked Questions about 3 Displays Configuration

0 Kudos
JEvan6
Beginner

I'm having the same issue here with the same dell laptop I am currently using

1 VGA cable

1 HDMI cable

1 HDMI to mini display port cable (no Adapter)

Updated drivers via Dell's website and one monitor will still get locked into that 620 resolution.

JShy
Beginner

Evan,

If you find out what works, can you please post here, as it's looking like I wont get a straight answer.

I'll do the same.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JEvan6
Beginner

found the issue its a limitation with the dock itself. I would recommend manually lowering the resolution and adjusting the refresh rates in Windows the best you can to get it working.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln296829/how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-dell-dock-wd15?lang=en# Issue5 How to Use and Troubleshoot the Dell Dock WD15 | Dell US

Supported Display ResolutionPassive Cable or Universal Cable without Thunderbolt™ SystemSingle Display (maximum resolution)Dual Display (maximum resolution)Triple Display (maximum resolution)
  • miniDP (DisplayPort): 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz
  • HDMI: 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
  • VGA: 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
FHD (1920 x 1080) or WUXGA (1920 x 1200) @ 60HzSXGA (1280 x 1024) @ 60 Hz

Table 3: Display Resolutions supported by the docking station using a Passive Cable or Universal Cable without Thunderbolt™ system.

Note: For dual or triple display, you may use mDP, HDMI or VGA to connect your monitor. The maximum resolution will depend on the resolution supported by the monitor and the maximum resolution that is supported by Dell Dock WD15 in dual or triple display configuration.

Note: Quad Displays are not supported by the Dell Dock WD15.

Note: Some resolutions may not be supported and hence will be removed from the Intel Graphics Control Panel. Resolution support is also dependent on the monitor's Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) resolution.

JShy
Beginner

Most helpful, even though the resolution change is going to suck.

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos