Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 download speed limited by what?

TDöbe
Beginner

Hello.

I have a Lenovo ideapad 700-15ISK with Windows 10 (64bit) and an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165. Also I have a 400 MBit/s internet connection. Why does my ideapad - when I perform a speed test - not download faster than 300 MBit/s while other PC + android devices at the same desk reach 360 - 433 MBit/s download speed? I use the same 5ghz connection for all mentioned devices. Latest Driver for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 is installed.

What does limit the downoad speed (Windows 10, Hardware, MS Edge browser, ...?) and what can I do to get rid of this limitation? Thanks in advance for help!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Waldprimat,

The speed of your wireless connection can be affected by different factors. Here are some initial recommendations that may help:

1. Make sure that the Operating System has any applicable system updates.

2. Obtain the latest driver from your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support, as second option you can use the generic version or https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=89450 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10* [19.70.0].

3. Apply the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000024678.html Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

4. Try disabling Bluetooth in your PC and check if it helps. This is normally done with a hardware switch, a key combination, or it can be done from Windows* settings.

If the issue persists, please let us know the following information:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

- Access point model and firmware version.

- Do you get a better connection with the PC closer to the access point?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
TDöbe
Beginner

Hello Jonathan,

thanks for your answer. I have done everything you recommended but the download speed didn't increase. Attached is the file from the Intel SSU.

I use a FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable with FRITZ!OS 06.63.

Cheers

W.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Waldprimat,

We checked the SSU log and some the information from the network is not shown properly. Please try the following to discard issues from the driver, or configuration:

- Perform a clean driver installation:

1. Download the generic driver version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=89450 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.70.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

- Go to the Power options of your laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

- Contact Fritz! Support, or your Internet Service Provider and check with them about possible firmware updates for your Access Point.

Get a new SSU log if the issue persists after these actions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
TDöbe
Beginner

Hello Jonathan,

thanks again for your help and patience. I tried to do all these steps several times. I am not sure about step 4. It seems the oldest driver always remains and I see no uninstall option for it.

There is no improvement regarding download speed. A new file "Intel SSU scan2.txt" is attached.

I think it can't be an issue with the Access Point because as mentiond other windows notebooks or android devices connected to it have higher donwload speed up to 433 MBit/s (at the same desk where I use the Lenovo ideapad).

Best regards

W.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Waldprimat,

We reviewed the new data and it looks similar to the previous one, the log does not show some details of the wireless network. Please let us know the following information:

1. Was this adapter built from factory with your PC?

2. Was it working fine before?

3. Have you checked if this also happens in other networks?

4. Please create a WLAN Report in Windows* and attach the resulting file to the thread. You can use this website for reference: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/47080-create-wlan-report-windows-10-a.html Create WLAN Report in Windows 10.

Note: 3rd party links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Additionally, you may check on this with the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
TDöbe
Beginner

Hello Jonathan,

1. yes

2. i only have the 400 MBit/s Internet connection since some weeks but it has never reached more than 300 MBit/s download speed on this computer (it does on other computers). It always "works" but not at the expected speed.

3. No unfortunately I know no other network with 400 MBit/s internet connection.

4. file is attached

I have already contacted Lenovo support but they only said "300MBit is fully normal" without even asking which computer or Wifi adapter i have...

Regards

W.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Waldprimat,

We checked the information and confirmed that the adapter is operating normally, so the issue may be external to the AC 3165.

- Does this happen with the PC close to the access point? or only at a certain distance?

- What is the Speed of the connection reported in Windows? (this can be seen in Network and Internet - Network connections, right click on the WiFi connection and check the status)

- Review the QOS configuration of your Wireless access point, make sure WMM is enabled, also, disable bandwidth control features or any other type of white-lists. If they will be enabled, you can set high priority for the AC 3165 (please check with the AP manufacturer for details about this).

If the issue persists at this point, then you might need to check further on this with Lenovo, or the Access point manufacturer.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
TDöbe
Beginner

Hello Jonathan,

- distance bewteen AP and PC is only about 1,8 meter (6 ft) and only a wooden bookshelf between them. As mentioned other devices at the same spot reach much higher speed. If I move the PC closer to the AP it still doesn't reach more than 300 MBit/s download speed.

- connection speed in Windows shows 433.3 MBit/s

- WMM is enabled in AP. Details for the connection in the AP for the Lenovo PC: 433 MBit/s, 5 GHz / ac / 80 MHz / 1 x 1

Best regards

W.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Waldprimat,

Considering the information available it seems the adapter appears is working normally, as it shows OK in the logs and the negotiated data rate is 433 Mbps. We already applied different actions to try to improve the connection from the adapter's side.

At this point, we advise you to check with the access point manufacturer on how to improve the download speed, you might want to review the QOS settings and other configuration they recommend. Lenovo support may also be a good source for assistance since they are the PC manufacturer.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos