Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Intel Celeron Sandy Bridge with HD Graphics and Windows 10 64 bit

CLima3
New Contributor II

Hello,

There is a huge amount of postings on the web forums about discontinued Intel processors using the Intel HD Graphics video card and the most common are the answers that second generation processors, such as the Celeron 867, do not have Support for Windows 10.

This is not true. I have a minipc Zotac Zbox Nano ID61, with Intel Celeron 867 processor, HM65 chipset, second generation and with Intel HD Graphics.

Yesterday I installed on this machine, Windows 10 64 bit, Pro version and the same is perfect, with the resolution at 1920x1080.

When I did the installation, I had the minipc connected on a full hd tv, Sony Bravia W9 and I was able to browse the web, watch videos etc.

I realized the problem when I transported the minipc and plugged it into a full hd monitor, 1920x1080. In it, Windows boots, I can access the setup as well, but before displaying the Windows login screen, the monitor screen turns black and the monitor led flashes.

Imagining being drivers, I installed for more than 3 hours, several drivers found on the web and on the Intel website, but the problem persists.

So, if everything is perfect with the display of the images on a TV, this tells me that it is not about drivers or a lack of processor support for Windows 10, so if it were that way, the perfect image would not be displayed on TV either .

With respect to the monitor, is a Samsung P2270 full hd, 1920x1080 at 60Hz.

It contains only DVI-I port.

I'm using an HDMI / DVI cable.

I discard problem on the monitor as I am using the same monitor on another machine with Windows 10 64 bit Pro and everything is perfect.

The connection between this perfect machine is a DVI / DVI cable.

On the other hand, the connection between the minipc and the monitor is another cable, hdmi / dvi.

On tv, the cable used is hdmi / hdmi.

Given this picture, any suggestions on what may be happening ??

Thanks for any help.

Greetings from Brazil.

Carlos Lima

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

According to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products Intel doesn't support SandyBridge under Windows 10.

However Microsoft offers driver 9.17.10.4459 at http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=9.17.10.4459 Microsoft Update Catalog

Probably it has already been installed automatically on your rig, since you have no trouble.

Check the version in the Intel control panel.

0 Kudos
CLima3
New Contributor II

Hi Stefan3D

This is exactly the driver that is installed; 9.17.10.4459.

As I mentioned, I have no problem with the driver and only my question is why is it perfect using the TV as a monitor and on another monitor (same resolution), it is not working.
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

If i understand you correctly the straight HDMI/HDMI and DVI/DVI cables work fine, but the HDMI/DVI adapter fails?

Probably the adapter has some fancy electronics that confuses your rig. This is just a guess though.

0 Kudos
CLima3
New Contributor II

I'm also thinking this, although months ago I had the same problem with another minipc zotac and when taking a technician, he corrected saying that he installed the appropriate driver for the chipset and so the minipc worked on that same monitor with that same cable.

Look:

- cable 1, is what came originally with the monitor and use it on another pc, works perfect on the monitor.

- cable 2, is what I use this minipc in my tv, works perfect.

- cable 3, is what I use this minipc on the monitor and displays the black screen.

I do not use adapter because I have the proper cables for each connection.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Judging from this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia there are some DVI variations.

Make sure to have the right one with all the pins connected, probably using an Ohmmeter.

Otherwise i'm running out of clues

0 Kudos
CLima3
New Contributor II

I checked with more interest now and found that in fact it may be the DVI variations.

The images show the DVI input of the monitor (A), the original cable, which is perfect with another pc (B) and the hdmi / dvi cable that is not working (C).

So, I'm going to buy another cable that has the DVI connector just like the original and might fix it. I'll also get an adapter (D) as the last attempt to fix it.

If it does not resolve, the switch option for a monitor with HDMI input remains.

0 Kudos
CLima3
New Contributor II

Finally solved.

The topic started with Sandy Bridge's lack of support for Windows 10 but was diverted to the DVI cable issue, however, it's fixed.

The solution was to use a simple DVI / HDMI adapter, using the same original monitor cable as pictured.

The question is still a question is ...

What's the point of Intel declaring on their site that second generation Celeron processor computers, Sandy Brigde, do not have Windows 10 support?

I'm using a pc with this setting, and everything is perfect with Windows 10, in the video driver aspect for Intel HD Graphics.

Can you tell what exactly this term means: "No Windows 10 support"?

Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It means that Intel has placed these processors (and chipsets) into end-of-life status and they are not analyzing any issues that appear with these systems and are not providing any updated drivers for these systems (Windows 10 included). What drivers are out there is what you have to play with. In some cases, Microsoft's legacy/compatibility drivers will provide support for the solution - but just barely and issues will exist (graphics performance, for example, can be awful). As a result of Intel dropping support for these older processors and chipsets, Microsoft has also dropped support for many of these systems and will not allow them to be updated to the latest versions (Creator's Update, for example).

Hope that explains it,

...S

0 Kudos
CLima3
New Contributor II

Yes, I understood everything you explained and thank you for that.

For a layman, not having support is understanding as something that does not work and in the case, I figured I could not use Windows 10 with my system, but so far everything is fine. Thank you for your explanations.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, think of it this way: With this status in place, if something doesn't work, Intel and Microsoft are not going to do anything about it.

...S

0 Kudos