Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

IAstorIcon continually using CPU

PBurn
Beginner

For the last couple of weeks, IAstorIcon is continually running and using a15% of my Dell PC CPU.

I used the Dell update service and made sure the drivers were up to date.

I'm not sure what else to do other than updating the drivers. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you actually using Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST)? That is, are you using RAID or Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) in your system? If not, you do not need the Intel RST package installed on your system and should uninstall it.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello woodennickel,

Thank you for joining General Questions community, and sorry hear you having issues with this matter.

The IAstorIcon process you mentioned is related to the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, so I would like to know if you are using this app in your computer. In case you are not aware, the Intel® RST is intended to monitor RAID configurations and disks status, is actually not necessary to install it unless your purpose is the one mentioned above.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
PBurn
Beginner

I do have the Intel Rapid Storage Technolgy program showing in my control panel/programs.

I didn't install it, nor do I know what it actually does, nor do I understand Raid configurations etc. that you mention above. I'm a pretty basic user when it comes to this stuff. I pretty much use my PC for office work. Nothing fancy - no gaming etc.

I gather then that I should just uninstall it.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/117201 woodennickel, in case is not needed go ahead and uninstalled it, and let us know if the CPU usage changes after you uninstall the app.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
PBurn
Beginner

Uninstalled and no more issues.

I am assuming I don't need.

Thank you all. I wasn't sure that I could have installed it safely.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you actually using Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST)? That is, are you using RAID or Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) in your system? If not, you do not need the Intel RST package installed on your system and should uninstall it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
PBurn
Beginner

Thank you Scott. As you mentioned, and as I just replied above, I gather I will just uninstall it.

Much appreciate the advice.

0 Kudos