Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

WHEA Logger Warning Event ID 17

idata
Employee

Hello. This is a Lenovo Y900-341SZ desktop running Windows 10 version 15063.540. I get two of these together and sporadically so ran the Intel CPU diagnostic tool--passed. Ran the Lenovo hardware scan--all passed, including PCI/PCI -e. The events occur randomly, not on shutdown/startup. I looked up the vendor ID online: 8086 which indicates Intel, but the device ID: 0xA115 is a mystery. What is it? All chipset, BIOS, drivers (except NVIDIA) are updated to latest. I repair-installed the Intel IO specifically.

I had a desk fan sweeping air back and forth with the machine's side panel off as the computer is situated in a small vestibule with little to no ventilation. I've since repositioned the fan so that there is no blowing air interfering with the stock fans. I'm trying to cover all the bases.

I looked up the device ID 0xA115 but could not locate it. Therefore, any insights and help are very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

8086:A115 is Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port # 6. This is sounding like a chipset failure...

...S

idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply. From what very little I could learn about this online, my options could be to uninstall, then reinstall the Intel IO chipset, reinstall Windows and/or return this literally brand new machine, which incidentally weighs a ton.

Again, no hardware issues via the two scans. Temperatures are pretty good considering the ambient conditions. A concern is that HWINFO64 is taking much longer to load recently, coinciding with the onset of the WHEA events. I'm monitoring the situation for the next couple of days. I will update this post accordingly.

Thanks again, this was helpful.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After a couple of days, I determined the WHEA Logger events were triggered by a bad external fan placement that was likely interfering with proper function of a case fan, possibly the GPU's or whatever corresponds to express root port # 6. The machine is in a small, enclosed space with poor airflow, is dust-prone, and has no air conditioning. Elevating the fan and redirecting air has resulted in a clean Event Viewer over two days.

Apologies as this turned out to be a frivolous issue but WHEA events are often a cause for concern when they appear. .

Thanks.

0 Kudos