Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Updating ROS packages on Euclid

BLunc
Novice

It looks as if the ROS packages on the Euclid are "locked" in place.

I updated the sources file per this link: http://wiki.ros.org/kinetic/Installation/Ubuntu kinetic/Installation/Ubuntu - ROS Wiki

It updated the packages but it also clobbered my RealSense driver(s) (actually failed at that point). I assume because it installed stuff that was not specifically for Euclid platform. Which led me down the road of trying to re-install the driver (which was quite a journey). Ultimately I just ended up re-installing the Euclid iso image (which was way easier than trying to do the drivers:)

It would be nice to keep up-to-date with the changes in ROS Kinetic without having it clobber the existing RealSense drivers. The stuff I developed use packages that aren't installed on Euclid.

I'm not against re-installing the drivers after an update but it would be nice if it was straight forward or better automated.

Bruce

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tsahi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

can you elaborate more on what ROS updates you were looking for ?

Thanks,

Tsahi.

Intel Euclid Development Team.

0 Kudos
BLunc
Novice

In general, I've always been able to do "apt update/upgrade" and be able to pull down the latest updates to ROS package updates on my other systems (because my sources file is pointing to the repository). That is not the case in Euclid. It looks as if the ROS packages in Euclid were installed locally.

Specifically, my driver was developed with ros-kinetic-serial. For the moment, that's the hangup.

0 Kudos