Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Intel HD 630/620/610 or any 7th gen integrated graphics in Windows 7

SLuna
Novice
LEGEND: w7 = windows 7w10 = windows 10NOTE: First of all, I didn't do any research or what so ever. I just did this on my own and after it worked I found a youtube video about it. My current integrated graphics is Intel HD 620. I did this because I wanted to prove that 7th gen processors do work in Windows 7. I had only 1 update(there's a tutorial for this) for w7.

I always wanted to use W7 because of more performance, but due to the fact that microsoft blocked all updates for kaby lake, all of us don't have any choice but to use W10.

Right now, I had it(HD 620) installed and didn't test games yet but will soon.

BUT MY MILLION DOLLAR QUESTIONS ARE:

Does it affect something on the processor?

Will it destroy my laptop? ()

Intel hd 620 - 21.20.16.4727 on windows 7

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The million dollar answer is that W7 (=Windows 7) is not supported on 7th gen processors.

Doc

0 Kudos
SLuna
Novice

Well you could say that. I guess you haven't tried it yet? hmm.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What matters is what is supported versus what is not supported. It is difficult enough to assist with what is supported.

Since you are so sure of yourself, why even bother coming here and asking if it will damage your laptop?

I commend you on your efforts, but that is as far as it goes. When you need official support, where will you go? hmmm...

Doc

0 Kudos
SLuna
Novice

Have you read my statement and my question?

I always wanted to use W7 because of more performance, but due to the fact that microsoft blocked all updates for kaby lake, all of us don't have any choice but to use W10.

^ One point why I used W10(before) but changed to w7 since there are people who are using w7 in kaby lake.

Does it affect something on the processor?

I was sarcastic about the laptop destruction.

I never meant W7 as an operating system for productivity, I wanted it as gaming since most of my games in W10 lags out(mostly indie, less AAA). I used the Zeffy patch and I received 1 update as of now.

Microsoft claims that it's incompatible with Kaby Lake, it's true that some software or features are incompatible with windows 7, but that doesn't really mind me at all and all I want to use w7 for is performance.

Lastly, I have it as dual boot and Microsoft Live Agents didn't really helped me at all so that's why I did it by myself.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, if you read my answer, it is the same: W7 (=Windows 7) is not supported on 7th gen processors.

Good luck with your efforts.

Doc

0 Kudos
GMaze1
Beginner

Hi,

as there are no "official" drivers for win7 for the 7100 and hd 620 graphics, I wondered which driver you are using, as I am also installing windows 7 with a core i3 7100.

Did you use the latest compatible with w7 or the one for generation 7th labeled w10 only?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There are no drivers for w7. W7 is not supported on 7th gen processors.

You may be able to "piece" together something and have it working. Remember, none of this is supported.

Doc

0 Kudos
GMaze1
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

I understand and accept the risks, but as it has been done before I wished to know the method used in order to have something to work on instead of guessing blindly

Any advice on how to "piece it together" will be welcome.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Therein lies the catch. If we start providing these types of workarounds and how-tos, on the Intel support site, then they tend to become "supported", or at least interpreted as supported. Microsoft would not provide such "solutions" either.

I would look at some of the other sites on the web that provide forums for these types of solutions.

Doc

0 Kudos