Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

i7 7700k hotter idle temperatures with corsair h100i v2

NTodo
Beginner

Hello,

I recently bought a core i7 7700k. At first i was using it with a CM hyper T4 cooling with an extra fan installed for better cooling. However, i noticed really high idle temps varying from 45-60 C and the CPU was not even overclocked. I know that this chip is supposedly hot but in every thread i read idle temps were lower than 35C. So i decided to upgrade my cooling and bought a corsair h100i v2 cooler expecting a lot of improvement. Yet almost nothing changed idle temps are around 50-55 (the chip isn't oc'ed) . My question is is my chip faulty or it is in some way normal, even though it sounds unacceptable to have idle temps so high.

Thank you in advance.

Nikolay Todorov
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello N.Todorov,

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Regarding your question, we would need to check deeper in order to confirm if this could be a faulty, I can let you know that the idle temperatures you are getting are not normal.

Let's gather more information regarding your system configuration, please provide the following;

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
NTodo
Beginner

Hello. Thank you for your fast reply.

Firstly, yes by idle i meant no programs running other than the essentials like anti-virus and windows defender. In the first 2 attached pictures are temps in idle with the task manager on the right proving that there is almost nothing running in the background. In the forth picture is CPU temp after being stressed for about 4-5 min with CPU-Z. I have not noticed when opening a program temperatures to spike other than when opening Chrome. The RAM I use is HyperX Fury Black 8GB DIMM, DDR4, 2400MHz, CL15 and my motherboard is MSI Z170A tomahawk with updated bios so that it supports the CPU.

P.S looking at the second picture i noticed that even though cores are 35-38 degrees the CPU package temp. is 50 degrees
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for this information.

I would like to recommend a couple of things, based on the latest updates from your computer manufacturer site there is a newer BIOS version, so please try this and the other drivers mentioned below;

Please let me know if you notice a chance

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
NTodo
Beginner

Hello

Sorry it took me so long to reply but i had to find thermal compound to replace the old one. Temperatures now are a bit better mid 30's to low 40's but for some reason they sometimes spike up to 50-55. I have read that temp spikes are usual for this CPU, but i have to make sure that everything is fine and ask you, whether or not this is normal.

Nikolay Todorov
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure Nikolay, I understand.

The idle temps are looking better. Hope you can reapply the thermal compound, we have seen that this practice helps a lot in behaviors like this one.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos