Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

S2600CP Windows 10 watchdog driver

3Ukra
Beginner

Good Day.

I am tried enable "OS boot watchdog timer" at BIOS, but my OS (Window 10 - 1709) always rebooted.

I didnt find Intel Watchdog driver and i dont understand how i should install it.

I am really need your help.

How i should check this driver? Does this function support Windows 10?

RMM Status :Intel(R) RMM not installedDevice (BMC) Available :YesBMC FW Build Time :Mar 23 2017 20:14:24BIOS ID :SE5C600.86B.02.06.0006.032420170950BMC FW Rev :01.28.10603Boot FW Rev :01.17SDR Package Version : �� dd dddMgmt Engine (ME) FW Rev :02.01.07.328
0 Kudos
33 Replies
3Ukra
Beginner

Does anyone use this function - OS boot watchdog timer?

Is there any such driver for any OS?

Is there at least KDK for such a driver?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello 3DPrinter Ukraine,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Is your issue related or similar to /message/510218# 510218 Intel watchdog timer driver restart notification appears even after restarting, along with other symptoms.

If it is not, please provide us with more detail about the error you are getting with the Watchdog timer.

If possible please provide screenshots or pictures of the error you are getting.

You may get more information at https://communities.intel.com/thread/119869 https://communities.intel.com/thread/119869 if your issue is related to the above thread.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Caesar B._Intel.
3Ukra
Beginner

I made this:

If I recall, it may have been one of the HID devices under Mice and Other pointing devices. Just do the same thing where you right click and update. If it is not one of those, then look around. It is there, hiding, under some other name. You will not hurt anything by right clicking and selecting update.

Now WDT driver installed.

But watchdog still did not work. My PC still rebooted at each 10 minutes.

BIOS has error: 8198 OS boot watchdog timer failure.

May be i should install something else?

How i can check it?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello https://c.na37.visual.force.com/apex/JiveCommunityReply?msgID=531571&contenID=663176&isReplyToMainThread=undefined 3DPrinter Ukraine,

It is very important to understand that windows 10 is not a supported OS for a server board so it doesn't know what to look for when it comes to these kind of specific devices nor have drivers been developed for the OS, henceforth you wont find "a way to check" the only official work around available for this right now is to go in to the device manager, update every "unknown" device and go in to the BIOS to disable the watchdog. I found an article only that might also offer some help, please check it up https://www.xtremerain.com/fix-dpc-watchdog-violation/ here.

I look forward to your comments, best regards.

Ken
0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

I checked the problem with another PC on the same motherboard

I have the same problem, so this is not an isolated case.

0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

"It is very important to understand that windows 10 is not a supported OS for a server board so it doesn't know what to look for when it comes to these kind of specific devices nor have drivers been developed for the OS,"

Ok

I made new test.

I installed clear Windows Server 2016 with intel S2600CP chipset driver.

Now i have same problem. I reinstall drivers for all device, but Windows Server 2016 didnt see Intel WDT device ;(

Any one use this function at any servers? How it should work correctly?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How about the troubleshooting steps provided previously, did you check them up, here is the link in case you didn't see it before.

https://www.xtremerain.com/fix-dpc-watchdog-violation/
0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

I tried update driver to my hdd

its not help

i this this another type of watchdog

At Your link HDD Watchdog. So if hdd driver didn work we will see BSOD.

But it my case motherboard just reseted w/o BSOD. I see watchdog error at BIOS.

Also i write question at microsoft community: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/81a63497-a4a5-48ad-aabe-ba045845f24a/hardware-watchdog-api-intel-watchdog-timer?forum=wdk Hardware Watchdog API (Intel Watchdog Timer)

I was unable to find any software to support the Intel WDT in Windows

So I think that Intel just did not create the necessary software and driver.

The motherboard sends the OS requests for 10 minutes, but receives no response.

After that, the motherboard overloads the computer. The OS simply does not have a program that would respond to the motherboard.

It is very strange. I have the last bios. Intel for many years adds this function to the BIOS, but does not make the software for this function? This is very strange and not beautiful for buyers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As mentioned Intel does not develop drivers for unsupported OS, anyhow, for troubleshooting purposes lets try to do the following.

A. Run Win 7 Driver.

1 Download XTU-Setup.msi file for Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP, save and unpack it if needed. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gldlrctj-P19QiG7Nv3qbIqiPsv-ofjh FILE

2 Switch on your new system hardware.

3 Right click on the My computer icon and push Properties tab then. Choose Hardware tab. Click on Device Manager button.

4 Find your Intel(R) Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT) device in the list and press double click on the system device. Click Reinstall driver button.

5 Choose Install from the specific location and click on the Browse button. Click on the Next and Finish button after that to complete the installation process.

6 After these steps, you should see Intel(R) Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT) device in Windows peripheral manager.

B. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant?product=128824 Run Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)

1 Uninstall any previous versions.

2 Download and save locally on your device.

3 Double-click Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Installer.exe file.

4 Read and agree to the license terms and conditions

5 Select Install.

6 Click Launch button; the tray icon will start and automatically opens default browser

C. Install a supported OS and repeat A and B.
  1. Windows Server 2008 R2* testing and certification extends support to the following editions:

Windows Server 2008 R2* for Embedded systems (standard)

Windows Server 2008 R2* for Embedded systems (Enterprise)

Windows Server 2008 R2* Foundation

Windows Server 2008 R2* Standard

Windows Server 2008 R2* Enterprise

Windows Server 2008 R2* Datacenter

Windows Web Server 2008 R2*

Windows HPC Server 2008 R2*

Windows Essential Business Server 2008*
  2. Windows Small Business Server 2011* is built on Windows Server 2008 R2. Windows Small Business Server 2011 uses drivers supported by the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system.
  3. Installing VMware* ESXi 5.x, ESXi 4.x, ESX 4.x to ESRT2 RAID or RSTe RAID is not supported. Onboard RAID (ESRT2 and RSTe) must be disabled
  4. The https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/000007381.html Microsoft WHQL information page is located here.
  5. Windows Server 2012* testing and certification extends support to the following editions:

Windows Server 2012* Datacenter

Windows Server 2012* Standard

Windows Server 2012* Essentials

Windows Server 2012 R2* Datacenter

Windows Server 2012 R2* Standard

Windows Server 2012 R2* Essentials
Please follow these steps and share your results in detail to proceed with hardware diagnose or confirm resolution.

Regards

Kenneth
0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

Thanks for your reply

I am tried Plan A - its not working

Plan И - did not help me "К сожалению, нет доступных обновлений ПО." "Unfortunately, there are no software updates available."

/update-advanced-comment.jspa?id=532437&draftID=529255 Attachments

Now i will try Plan C, i will try install Windows Server 2012 R2* Standard

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the updates,

Just to confirm, did you go in to bios after implementing a and B to disable the utility?

Regards.

Ken
0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

Yes

I installed the driver as you wrote. After that, I tried to turn on the OS Boot Watchdog timer. My computer began to reboot every 10 minutes. I checked a few cycles and made sure that the driver is configured correctly.

It did not help.

After that, I again went into the BIOS and turned off the OS Boot Watchdog timer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Understood, once you can confirm going trough step C, run the driver assistance provided previously, and check again. When completed share your results to start hardware troubleshoot if needed.

Regards.

Ken
0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

Ok

I made Plan - С

SAME RESULT

I installed Clear Windows Server 2012 R2* Standard. When i installed Intel chipset driver.

I didnt see Intel Watchdog Driver. Same result like Windows server 2016.

My OS was rebooted every 10 minutes.

So i also try install new CPU - E5-2680v2. I check WTD function on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2* Standard - same reult. My system Always rebooted every 10 minutes.

I tested 2 motherboards and 3 CPU, and 4 OS - ALWAYS SAME RESULT ;(

What can i do?

P.S. One strange thing

When i change my CPU Intel Extreme Tuning Utility not work more at any OS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, this goes as a follow up, Have you had the chance to check the troubleshooting steps provided previously, would you be able to send the logs?

Regards.

Kenneth R.
0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

Thanks for info.

I will made it today.

0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

this is log for you.

thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the logs,

I just took a quick check on it, I'll review them in depth and come back with more details, so far I saw the following entry.

OS Boot Watchdog Timer

======================

Current Value : Enabled

It needs to be disabled, so it doesn't take action, lets try that while I work in the logs and see what happens.

Kenneth
0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

Thank you.

It is interesting that the log was formed more than 10 minutes, but the computer was not overloaded during the formation of the log.

0 Kudos
3Ukra
Beginner

one more question

Does this function work on Linux? Is there a driver for Linux?

0 Kudos