Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Upgraded CPU isn't supporting dual displays anymore

AMill17
Beginner

Hello

I have a very strange problem. Wishing to increase the speed of my computer cpu-wise I purchased a 2nd hand chip

My system is an old dell Inspiron 580 running windows 7

The chips are

Original on board purchase

INTEL i3 550

INTEL CORE i3

SLBUD COSTA RICA

1. 3.29GHz/4m/89a

318C344

The new chip is an

INTEL i5 750

INTEL CORE i5

SLBLC MALAY

1. 2.66GHz/8m/89b

L935B792

Now while the new i5 chip works and I can set the screen resolution to what I want, it doesn't support my dual display! Which I am told by computer savvy friends doesn't make any sense as the CPU has nothing to do with the display output.

The windows setup doesn't detect the DIVD screen with the i5 chip fitted

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX650 with VGA and DIVD outputs

The monitors are both DELL an ST2420L(DIVD) and an E2210(VGA)

With my original chip, both screens displayed fine and the screens were extended and worked. With the new chip, screen 1 (DIVD) is blank and the desktop is displayed on screen 2 (VGA)

I have tried plugging the VGA screen into the motherboard socket but ended up with no display on either screen.

The research I have done suggest the i5 chip is suitable for my Motherboard so I don't know how to proceed from here, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you check with the motherboard manufacturer to see if their BIOS supports the i5-750?

For an upgrade processor to work, it must be socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eldarau,

I agree with Doc; did you check with Dell for the compatibility of this processor?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/114664 eldarau, hope you were able to check the compatibility with Dell.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos