Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Beginner to microprocessors on a quest to build a machine for my company; I have a few questions

idata
Employee

Forgive me if I am not in the right place for this, but curiosity is taking charge of my will.

I started out learning Microprocessors from the wide range of books available on the 8086 model. I've devoured more than 5 hefty books on the topic, but as I progress towards the learning of modern microprocessors, I'm noticing that there is an enormous lack of books available for the hardware, software, and the interfacing of them, such as the Intel Pentium dual-core processors and greater. Because the machine I am making has a relatively higher power consumption than the controllers in your vehicles, I must resort to the use of microprocessors rather than microcontrollers. The machine I am making will be very simple to code. This is why I am programming it in Assembly Language. This way, I have a true understanding of what to do if anything goes wrong. Can modern assemblers like TASM, NASM, MASM, and MPASM create executable files which modern software can send to modern EPROMs which can be interfaced with the dual-core microprocessor in a similar way you interface it with an 8086 microrprocessor? Is there a comprehensive list of modern hardware devices that serve a particular function for modern microprocessors akin to the Intel 8254, which connects a 16-key keyboard to 7-segment LED display for the 8086 microrprocessor? Why aren't the older microprocessors available for purchase? I notice that all the modern ones are for "desktops". Can I reprogram desktop microprocessors for very basic purposes? I don't need a multi-core processor, just a cheap and basic processor that my company can repurchase to replicate the machine. What must a manufacturer do in this case? Spend hundreds of dollars on microprocessors which are only used for very basic purposes, rendering most of the features on them useless? Surely, Intel took this into consideration, right?

Since there are no books I can find on the subject anywhere, is the whole concept of interrupts and decoders still in effect? I'm at a standstill in my learning. Guide me to the right direction please. You would think that the more advanced a topic gets, the more books there will be to cover the details of it. Ironically, there are fewer resources available. Also, I'm assuming you provide 280 or so entry points on the D-type connectors for all the pins on modern processors. Is this true? Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello GN-z11,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I have read your concern and I will help you address this to the appropriate support team.

In this case, you may create a new thread in the Embedded Community at:

https://embedded.communities.intel.com/community/en https://embedded.communities.intel.com/community/en

I hope this information helps.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos