Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

ECC supported by G4560 on ASUS P10S-M WS?

MLowi
Beginner

Hi,

I bought the following components in March for a NAS server build:

• ASUS P10S-M WS
  • Intel G4560 sSpec SR32Y
  • Kingston KVR21E15D8/8HA

However, ECC is not working. I did checks on

• FreeBSD with dmidecode: "Error Correction Type: None"
  • Windows 10 with wmic: MemoryErrorCorrection = 3 (None)
  • Windows 10 with AIDA64: ECC not supported
  • PassMark MemTest86 V7.3 Free Build: 1012

So I contacted the support at PassMark because I wasn't sure that Kaby Lake was supported. We discussed the issue and I even got new builds to test. But the final result was that the chipset register contains CAPID0_A=62016051 and hence is not ECC capable.

Maybe the ASUS mainboard has a defect. So I emailed the support, did the AIDA64 and other tests as recommended with the same result. After over two months discussing the issue with ASUS, they replaced the mainboard. Unfortunately, the issue remains. I did the same tests yesterday but ECC capability could be detected.

It looks like there is an compatibility issue between the G4560 and the ASUS implementation of the C236 chipset. Any ideas on how to test or fix it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello bernie42,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Well, this processor supports ECC memory and as well the Intel® C236 Chipset.

Have you try updating the BIOS on your motherboard or is your motherboard BIOS up to date?

You can locate the latest BIOS version for this motherboard here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P10S-M-WS/HelpDesk_CPU/ https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P10S-M-WS/HelpDesk_CPU/

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
MLowi
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your reply.

Before I ran all the mentioned tests, I updated the BIOS to version 3105 and also tried the latest version 3204. According to ASUS, the Pentium G4560(3.5G,54W,L3:3M,2C,rev.B0,HT) should work since version 3105.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm sorry that this problem still persists; from my end I can confirm that both the processor and the chipset support ECC memory.

In this case, please allow me to further investigate for you and if I find a solution I will post it here.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bernie42,

I have been researching on a solution for you but according with your hardware information this configuration supports ECC, your RAM, motherboard and processor support ECC. At this point, if you have replaced the motherboard and the issue persists, then this is most likely a defective RAM or processor, but I would try with different RAM before trying to replace a processor since processor don't fail to often.

If you decide to replace the RAM and the issue persists you can http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @2 contact support to submit a warranty replacement. You can do either chat support or you can create an online service request.

Unfortunately, it is hard to determine what would be the issue without testing with different components.

I hope this can help.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan u.
0 Kudos
MLowi
Beginner

Hello Ivan,

thanks for the follow-up.

Unfortunately, I don't have other components for testing. I am currently in contact with the Kingston support to issue a replacement for the RAM. As soon as it arrives I will rerun the tests.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information and I will appreciate if you could let us how it goes after you receive new RAMs.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
MLowi
Beginner

Hello Ivan,

I did a lot of tests in the past few days but unfortunately the issue has not been resolved.

The replacement RAM I got from Kingston had no effect on the ECC functionality.

In fact, the mainboard doesn't boot at all anymore. When booting, it beeps three times (which is undocumented), the q-code shows "6E" and the CATTERRLED lights up red after about 10 seconds. I also tried the old RAM and other DIMM slots. Sometimes the q-code error was "CC" (again, undocumented), sometimes the result was a boot-loop. Maybe one of the previous BIOS updates failed, maybe the CMOS reset.. I don't know.

Fortunately, the ASUS support might have found the issue for the disabled ECC support. When updating the BIOS, the IME firmware is not automatically updated as well. With the old IME version, the support could verify that ECC support was not available despite the correct BIOS version and compatible components. However, if the mainboard doesn't boot into BIOS, I cannot update the IME firmware.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bernie42,

Thank you for the information, at this point, I would suggest you to contact ASUS to try to troubleshoot the no boot issue, ASUS is more familiar with your motherboard and if they also found the issue for disable ECC support, then they should be able to assist you better.

I don't believe this is caused by the processor because basically the processor does what the system tells him to do.

Please let me know if there is something else I can do for you related to this matter and I will be more than glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bernie42,

I'm wondering if you were able to find a solution from ASUS or if you still have the issue.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
JWhit25
Beginner

Does the g4560 support ECC ram? Intel Ark says No for ECC Ram support. I am confused and am thinking of using it in my server.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos