Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RAID 1 gone after BIOS update, cannot recreate

idata
Employee

I am struggling to create a RAID 1 array after I updated my BIOS and hope someone can help me find that magic button that will make it work again!

I used to have a RAID 1 array for my documents. I had the array encrypted.

Then I updated my BIOS. I went into BIOS and noticed that SATA was set to AHCI and Rapid Storage Technology didn't appear in BIOS.

Booted into Windows and HDD1 was there and had my files but Disk Manager showed HDD 2 to be offline. I made in online and it also had all my files.

Back to BIOS and set SATA to RAID.

Booted into Windows and I still had two drives in My Computer (no RAID)

Opened Rapid Storage Technology and there wasn't anything about rebuilding etc. So I clicked on Create RAID, chose to keep files on HDD 1 and delete on HDD 2. It failed... unexpected error.

So I decrypted both drives. Tried to build again. Failed with the same error.

So I removed the volume on HDD 2. Still, it failed.

I am able to try to build the RAID 1 in BIOS but I am worried about deleting data on HDD 1 now.

Is there something blindingly obvious that I am missing? The only time I've had problems with RAID is with a Dell SAS card.

Thank you for any help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

DevaVictrix: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology communities.

In order to better assist you, could you please provide the system report from Intel® RST?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/000006351.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/000006351.html

Please, do not try to create the RAID 1 from the control "i" menu because by doing that the information on the hard drive will be lost.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

DevaVictrix: I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alberto,

In the end I had to transfer my files to a couple of external drives, rebuild the array and transfer everything back. The really annoying thing is that the new BIOS sometimes crashes on bootup so I could do with rolling back!

Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DevaVictrix: You are welcome. It is great to hear that you were able to transfer the information. In regard to the BIOS, yes, you can always try a roll back to an older version. If you do that, please disconnect the hard drivers, then once the downgrade is completed, get in the BIOS set the SATA mode to RAID and then connect the hard drives again. To have a back up of the data it is always recommended.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto R

0 Kudos