Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Win 7 supported NOW? 3 years later????

DMerc5
Beginner

Please? Pretty please? The Win 7 box is an HP laptop with i7 CPU in it. The device manager sees the R200 "camera" but DCM fails, 3 times even.

I can't get Debian 9 or Ubuntu 16.04 or Ubuntu 17 versions to recognize the R200, either, all with AMD CPU's. Neither could I get it to work on the Jetson TX2 with JetPack 3.0. Bah.

Is there ANY test I an run in any of these environments to see if this R200 even works?????

Call me

Frustrated in Alabama.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The minimum Windows specification for the R200 is Windows 8.1 with a service pack, or preferably Windows 10. An Intel Core processor that is 4th generation (2014) or newer or an Intel Atom Cherry Trail processor is also preferred by the R200 camera to access its full capabilities. It's usable features may be limited to simple raw camera data streaming and RGB video on an AMD processor.

RealSense can be used with Linux but you will still need a machine with a compatible processor and a USB 3.0 port.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The minimum Windows specification for the R200 is Windows 8.1 with a service pack, or preferably Windows 10. An Intel Core processor that is 4th generation (2014) or newer or an Intel Atom Cherry Trail processor is also preferred by the R200 camera to access its full capabilities. It's usable features may be limited to simple raw camera data streaming and RGB video on an AMD processor.

RealSense can be used with Linux but you will still need a machine with a compatible processor and a USB 3.0 port.

DMerc5
Beginner

So, Marty, you're saying Intel STILL hasn't made any drivers for Win 7? After the product has been out THIS long? That's not OK.

Why doesn't it work on the TX2? Everyone else has it working on theirs under Ubuntu. Maybe I got a dud from the factory. I've only had it a few days. Is there any way to specifically test THAT?

I would not have spent the $600 for the TX2 board if the R200 realsense unit wouldn't work on it. But I want the Win 7 laptop to be able to use it too, because the TX2 tasks don't come often while there are a ton of things I want to do with it on a laptop or desktop. Intel's own documentation says you gotta pay a bazillion dollars for their brandy-newest CPU's to get the full benefit out of the R200 but it does still work on the other CPU's.

Thanks for replying.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

RealSense was never meant to support Windows 7. Intel made the deliberate decision to make Windows 8.1 the baseline in 2014 partly in order to not be held back by legacy tech. I understand that you may not want to take that upgrade route though - not everyone does. Some people would use Windows XP forever if it were possible. I'm genuinely sorry for your predicament.

0 Kudos