Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Get directly RealSense ZR300 data from Euclid through USB3

ADelm
Novice

Hi,

is it possible to get RealSense data from Euclid directly via USB3 as you can do with the single ZR300? The performance in terms of FPS are the same?

Use case:

What to send via USB3 RealSense data to a laptop where this data will be processed SLAM or deep learning. In this case sendiang data through ROS messages and wifi cannot be feasible.

Tnks

Andrea

1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi AndreaID,

Thanks for your time, I got the reply from our escalation team in regards to the scenario mentioned and what I got is that although this is technically possible, we don't have drivers yet in order to get the data from the device via a USB 3.0 cable and I got informed that we don't know if this is a use case that will be implemented in the future for the Euclid development kit.

We hope this answers your inquiry for this device.

Let us know in case you need further assistance or more information for this RealSense device.

Regards,

Leonardo L

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi AndreaID,

Thanks for contacting the Intel® Euclid™ Development Kit forum, we understand that you want to know if the data from the Euclid can be obtained also from the USB 3.0 cable and how is the performance, let us investigate more on this particular scenario with the camera and we'll get back to you as soon as we have more information to give you the accurate answer in regards to this inquiry.

We hope you have a great day!

Regards,

Leonardo L
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AndreaID,

Thanks for your time, I got the reply from our escalation team in regards to the scenario mentioned and what I got is that although this is technically possible, we don't have drivers yet in order to get the data from the device via a USB 3.0 cable and I got informed that we don't know if this is a use case that will be implemented in the future for the Euclid development kit.

We hope this answers your inquiry for this device.

Let us know in case you need further assistance or more information for this RealSense device.

Regards,

Leonardo L
0 Kudos
ADelm
Novice

Hi Leonardo,

thank you very much for your detailed explanation, yes this answered my inquiry.

Regards

Andrea

0 Kudos
JHues
Beginner

Hi,

Just wanted to jump in and say that I can see this being a pretty common use case. I started experimenting with the Euclid device yesterday and while it's a pretty powerful little device, it was very easy to max out the CPU. I'm thinking about using it to preprocess some point clouds and IMU data, then send the data over USB to a master device. I'm envisioning something like the rosserial library for transparent communication.

Anyways, I can jank something together using a USB transfer cable or USB-to-Ethernet cable. Just wanted to provide some feedback.

Thanks,

Jacob

0 Kudos
Amit_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Just wanted to add that Euclid is by it's own a computer (quad-core with 4 GB memory). You can run some of the stuff directly on it.

Also, the Euclid comes with ROS framework which allows you to share data over wifi/ETH.

thanks,

Amit

(Intel)

0 Kudos
Michael_M_Intel1
Employee

Amit,

I think a reasonable solution, rather than emulating a USB3.0 device, would just be to support Ethernet-over-USB on the OTG port. Then it would be possible to tie into the ROS streams for the camera on the Euclid (and still run librealsense and other things on the Euclid), making it functionally equivalent, for ROS at least, to a ZR300.

It doesn't *seem* like the OTG port on the Euclid is doing anything right now other than providing power (it is not getting recognized as a USB device when I plug it into another computer...) but in the long run I'm hoping some kind of "device mode" on that port will be supported, as with the Edison (where you get both an ethernet connection and access to part of the filesystem).

In the meantime, to use the Euclid as a "network peripheral", the following works out of the box (a USB3.0 Gigabit ethernet adapter; only $15), and the software configuration would be similar to an Ethernet-over-USB setup:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp/B00AQM8586 https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp/B00AQM8586

Michael

0 Kudos
ADelm
Novice

Hi Amit and Michael,

Thanks for your support!

@Michael with the solution you have proposed the ZR300 ROS node will run on the Euclid's Computer and then it will publish data via ROS message through Ethernet-over-USB setup.

With this configuration we can reach at most 1Gb/s of bandwidth, it's enough to get all the data from the sensors?

The depth image only is (628x468) x 16bit x 60fps = 0.28 Gb/s.

Andrea

0 Kudos