Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
308 Discussions

Intel Optane SSD 900p hardware encryption

VPetr3
Beginner

Good day, everyone!

As stated here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/gaming-enthusiast-ssds/optane-900p-series/900p-480gb-aic-20nm.html Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P 123626 in specs, optane ssd 900p has support of hardware encryption AES 256 bit.

Does anyone know how and where I can enable this cool feature?

And I wonder how it affects on real SSD perfomance and throughput?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello VasyaPetrov,

Thanks for posting your question in the Intel SSDs community.

The Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P does have support for the AES 256 bit encryption. As this is a hardware encryption there is no need to enable the encryption, it is always enabled. The 900P works with encrypting all the information it stores.

The AES 256 bit does not affect the performance or throughput of the SSD.

If you are looking for additional security, you can add other encryption software such as Bitlocker.

Hope this information helps to clarify your questions. If you have any additional question please let me know.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
VPetr3
Beginner

Thanks for reply!

Just to clarify

Anyone who has physical access to my SSD can plug it in any other PC and easily read all the data in unencrypted format?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello VasayaPetrov,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are right. You can physically move the SSD and read it in other systems.

If you want to avoid this situations, you will need to use a third party software to generate an additional encryption. The third party software use the AES 256 bit encryption keys to make your information secure.

Best Regards,

Juan N.

0 Kudos