Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14533 Discussions

i3 4170 temps while gaming.

lmila
Beginner

Hello guys, i just want to ask if my processor temp is ok or not, well while i was playing games (i.e nba 2k16, dota 2 etc) i noticed that my cpu temp reaches approximately 74-78 degrees i wonder if those temps are ok? because i've seen videos in youtube same set up as mine playing heavier games like witcher 3, gta v, shawos of mordor etc, and hes temp barely reach 70 maybe around 50-65 most of the time. and he said hes running it on stock cpu cooler. i have tried changing the thermal paste but improvement is almost negligible,. what should i do?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Zuuu:

I would like to check some information, so please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, once done attach the report. I would also need from you to download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, once done attach the report as well. This will help to gather all the information required to address this issue.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
lmila
Beginner
Hello, i have conducted the test and i have attached it to this mail,but before i did the test i have tweaked the fan control in bios a couple of days ago because i'm worried that i may be playing at a high temp. i have set it to maximum PWM i'm not sure if its 2.5 or 2.75 PWM/degree Celsius but one thing is for sure that it has a good effect somehow, temp been lowered to 5 degree more or less but it does not stop rising it slowly rise maybe a couple of hours or so., and i have done also stress testing using prime95 at my cpu temp suddenly rushed to 80-90 degrees. have a good day.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the reports.

According to them your system is running fine, as long as the computer does not restart, enters in BSOD's or shutdowns itself should be fine. The fact that the temperature raised when you were running that test is normal, the processor will rise the temperature under heavy work load. You might try updating your BIOS to the latest, and setting the defaults in your configuration, but your system is working as expected.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, /thread/102528 Zuuu:

I wanted to follow up your case.

Were you able to update the BIOS? Did the behavior continue?

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos