Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14538 Discussions

Cpu speed drop when playing games or idling

ALaw
Beginner

Hi,

My 1 year old rig starts to have low fps 2 months back when I'm playing games like Runescape & Counter Strike Global Offensive. I went to my PC store which they replaced each part to isolate the problems (motherboard, processor, new hard disk, graphic card) but problems persist. The cpu speed shown on task manager and AIDA64 will drop from 3.8Ghz-3.9Ghz to a mere 0.79Ghz when playing games or idling/surfing the net. The drop in speed will happen randomly at the start of the day and will climb back up to 3.9Ghz a few times or less in between the period when the CPU speed drops.

Steps taken: Changed Power option to High Performance &

This is my rig specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

MSI H97 Gaming 3

G Skill RipjawsX F3- 1600C9-8GXM 8GBx2 DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM

Samsung SSD850 EVO 250GB ATA Device C:

WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 ATA Device D:

MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB

Seasonic X-series 750W Gold Modular

Window 7 Home Premium 64bit / Window 10 Home 64bit
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ALaw
Beginner

Motherboard, CPU & GPU temperature is relative stable and low so I highly doubt it's a overheating issue.

Steps taken on both Win 7 & 10:

Changed power option to high performance, processor power management min & max processor state 100% cooling policy active

Upgrade OS

Downloaded Samsung Magic and tweak SSD's settings to high performance

Reset BIOS to default settings, CMOS reset, Flash BIOS, BIOS updated to the latest version

Graphic Card firmware updated to latest version, down version to an older version.

Downloaded Intel Driver Update to update Intel driver to the latest version.
0 Kudos
ALaw
Beginner

Update: I'm using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), AIDA64, CPU-Z * RealTemp to monitor cpu's parameter. Intel XTU shows that the CPU is thermal throttling at 75-100% while core temperatures are 38-40 degree. Is this a hardware issue? Do i have to RMA both the Motherboard & CPU to my PC Store?

http://postimg.org/image/r8jiv5ewr/

0 Kudos
ALaw
Beginner

Hi,

Can any Intel moderator/administrator or technician get back to me ASAP? Projects are coming in and I have videos to render and the drop in cpu speed is lagging my system badly or RMA my parts again if it's a hardware issue.

Regards,

Alan
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Raelan:

Is the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology on? If yes, could you turn it off? I would like to check if the issue persists if it is off.

Keep me posted.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, /thread/102748 Raelan:

I just wanted to check on this thread; were you able to track this down?

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos