Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

'Intel Driver update utility' fail on Acer aspire 5738 laptop.

idata
Employee

Hi, i just tried to use the 'Intel Driver update utility' on my Acer aspire 5738 laptop. It finds a driver to update ok but then fails when it proceeds to install it, with an 'unknown error'. I've tried 3 times now with re-boots to no avail. Any tips would be great. Cheers, Neil

Ps i tried to attach a logfile; there were 3 so attached the largest as would only let me attach 1.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Snizzers:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like to gather some information from your system in order to better assist you on this.

1. Please let me know what is the driver that you are attempting to install and fails

2. Please provide me with the Intel® System Support Utility report from your system.

How can I get that report?

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

-Download the utility

-Scan your system with the utility

-Export the report and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hello Esteban

many thnask for looking into my problem and apologies for not replying earlier but been busy last 2 evenings.

The driver installed is stated as:

the update says it will install:

I attach the scan report as suggested.

Many thanks again

Neil

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information provided Snizzers.

In this case, I regret to inform you that this processor (Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6400) doesn't have support for Windows 10*

If this driver is working fine for you, an update shouldn't be necessary.

A troubleshooting step to be performed (in case you indeed want to try to update it) would be, completely removing that driver and then installing all windows updates.

How can you remove the current driver?

-Access the device manager (you can use windows start search to find it).

-Look for Display adapters double click on it.

-Right click on your Intel® HD Graphics and hit properties.

-Go to driver tab and hit uninstall.

-Select "Delete the driver software for this device"

Hope you can get this done.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Esteban

thanks for the reply. I have tried to uninstall the driver (and ticking the box 'delete the driver from this device') but each time it initially starts up with the driver apparently disabled (degraded screen resolution). However, after a while it seems to re-install itself? It also seems to do this if i try the driver update utilityor windows update.

The reason i want to update my driver is the Pc wont play my Gopro videos and the Gopro site tells me to get the latest drivers for my machine and some comment of issues with some Intel graphics hardware.

many thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your answer Snizzers, This is probably due to the fact that the processor in the PC is not fully supported to work with Windows 10*.

My recommendation for this scenario would be to go back to a supported Operating system for the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family which are the Graphics present in your Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6400, this woudl be in order to use an OS supported which will allow you to install drivers developed from Intel.

This information can be checked here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html

Under Legacy Intel® Graphics Products please look for Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Supported OS for this platform: Windows 8*, 7, vista and XP

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos