Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Broken graphics in Path of Exile

AZhev
Beginner

I wrote in patch release thread, but looks like its better to create new thread with my issue.

I want to report problems in Path of Exile game under Win 8.1 x64. After 1-30 minutes of active gameplay, graphics become completely garbled. Problem displays itself in different ways: missing textures, image stacking, image freeze, blank screen with color artefacts, heavy artifacting on screen, but most of the times game GUI just disappears and 3d image freezes. Also, from time to time driver crashes and OS restarts it. OS and game itself remains fully functional under such conditions. And when this occurs, texture memory and GFX usage drops down heavily. I also stress-tested my i7-4790k under Bioshock Infinite, where it did not display such behavior. Temperatures do not go higher than 60C. I also tried to roll back to older drivers, but this did not help... v3939 was oldest one I was able to find. v4176 have same issues... With classic GFX card game runs completely fine.

Here's my DxDiag: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5836960/DxDiag.txt https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5836960/DxDiag.txt

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for reporting this issue.

I am downloading the game through Steam, I will test it as soon as if finishes the download and will update this thread.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AZhev
Beginner

Thanks. Hope you will be able to reproduce it. If not, I hope you will be able to help me debug problem on my end. I tried both Win 8 AND Win 8.1. I thought that it is hardware problem, but Diablo 3 and Bioshock Infinite were doing fine. Also, Path of Exile was also doing fine at first, but then started misbehaving after some update. On v4176 game runs fine one time out of ~20. I dont know why, but it happened several times, when I was able to play for around 6-8 hours straight without issues. Next sleep or reboot brought same problems again...

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Can you test graphics driver version 4170?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24870/Intel-Iris-and-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit Intel® Download Center

That would be the driver I will be testing on Intel® HD Graphics 4600.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AZhev
Beginner

Sorry, I pointed wrong version in earlier post. I tested v4170. Still had problems, but one of 20 play sessions worked fine. IDK why... I'll do some more testing. Problem is, graphics breaks not right away. It can take anything from 1 minute to 1 hour or more. But usually it starts to exhibit itself after several minutes of doing anything actively.

0 Kudos
AZhev
Beginner

Again, yesterday, I had quite lengthy game session after driver update. Today, game again breaks in about 15 minutes. I even tried to update BIOS, but it didnt help.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have been testing driver version 4170 for more than 60 minutes playing the game. I did not experience lagging, missing textures, etc. The game played smoothly.

I will keep checking on it and I will update you with more details.

Allan.

AZhev
Beginner

Hm. Can you tell me what can I do to debug things further on my side? I can also play for prolonged times. One time out of 10-20, but it happens sometimes. I want to be more specific, but I cannot pinpoint anything specific for this issue . The only error I can get from OS is gfx driver error, but Event Logger dont give any details except frot fact that OS restarted driver...

0 Kudos
AZhev
Beginner

Out of desperation installed Windows 10 x64 build 10074 and game runs fine. Apart from game, I didn't install anything. I'll do more checking after national holidays. Maybe Steam or antivirus somehow breaks driver under Win 8.1...

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for letting me know.

Allan.
0 Kudos