Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

TWo same Xeons, different instruction sets

PMarc5
Beginner

Hello,

I'm in need of help.

I own Intel Xeon E5-2683 v3 processor, coupled with ASUS Z10PA-D8 mobo (have only one processor mounted atm), but wanted to buy another one (used piece) from e-bay to get some more power.

I ran quick CPU-Z check trying to determine if everything matches between the two and it turned out that the one i want to buy is missing an AES instruction set, that my piece has - see screens attached.

To be honest i don't know too much about those things and was hoping you guys could help me out here. Will those two processors run together smoothly ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

For dual processor, you need to make sure both processors have same stepping code as shown below:

For the E5-2683 V3 you can see that there is only SR code for your processor model here:

http://ark.intel.com/products/81055/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2683-v3-35M-Cache-2_00-GHz# @ordering Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2683 v3 (35M Cache, 2.00 GHz) Specifications

Allan.

0 Kudos
PMarc5
Beginner

Hey Allan,

thank you for taking the time to answer this !

The stepping you're referring to is something different than the one shown by CPU-Z ? The ones in my screenshots do match. I'm not sure i get this right.

Could you please recommend the best way to check my processor and the one I want to buy for the stepping code ? Any software etc ?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:

managed to check those using AIDA, stepping of my piece is M1.

I know stepping and CPUID are related to each other. So is it safe to assume that the one I want to buy will be compatible with mine if they share the same stepping, or sould i compare any other things using AIDA ?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The best way to check this would be physically, the SR code is on the processor itself. You may need to ask for pictures in order to compare processor stepping codes.

Allan.

0 Kudos