Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

PROSet/Wireless installer crashes

AKorn2
Beginner

Hello,

I have a Dell laptop with an Intel AC-7260 wireless running Windows 7 x64. I upgraded to Win10 and then reverted back to Win 7. And now I can no longer install any PROSet/Wireless software: the installer crashes as soon as I launch it. (I get a Windows message box saying "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software has stopped working" and a single button "Close the program".)

I figure it may have something to do with the registry changes/corruption after the upgrade/downgrade. Attached is the installation log left by the installer in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp before it crashed. There is also a corresponding dump file in %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps.

I wonder if there is any way to recover from this mess (other than complete OS reinstall)? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ak47,

If this wireless adapter is the one installed by factory, we recommend that you contact OEM: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites in order to obtain the latest drivers from them first. If after using their drivers you notice that the issue still persists, you can try our new drivers. Intel has recently come up with a new generic driver version (18.40.0) for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265. You can find it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260 Drivers & Software this new version is available either for the Windows® 10 and Windows® 7 on both architectures 32 and 64 Bit.

Please proceed as follows:

1. Download and save the latest driver version according to your OS version and architecture.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall the current "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

6. Install the latest drivers you have downloaded before.

7. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

Regarding the registry, remember it is a huge databse in the Windows* system containing all sorts of program data. system settings, etc... if during the downgrading from Windows®10 to Windows®7 some registry got corrupted we recommend that you contact Microsoft* so they can help you with this issue regarding the OS. For you convenience, we have researched and found this Microsoft* tool online that might help you as well: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/program_install_and_uninstall Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled

*Try fixing/repairing the registry first and then try the steps above. Please let us know if this helped you.

0 Kudos
AKorn2
Beginner

Thank you very much for your reply!

As I explained in the original posting the issue is not with the drivers, but with the Intel driver installer. I've tried the OEM driver installer, as well as the installers of the older versions of the driver, the result is still the same: the installer crashes on the first splash screen.

For your information, in fact it is my use of that Microsoft Fix tool you mentioned in your reply that caused this issue with installer to appear. And I'm not sure if the issue is due to a registry corruption. I attached the installer log hoping that somebody from Intel engineering could have a look at it and maybe provide some hints.

But anyway, I was eventually able install the drivers and the software by downloading the packages for IT Admins and running the included MSI files individually one by one.

Thanks again

Andy

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ak47,

Thanks for letting us know the issue has been resolved by using the admin IT package. Should you have any further questions or doubts, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We also would like to inform you that besides communities, you can also contacts via chat or phone in case you need live assistance from one of our technicians. Here is the link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support

0 Kudos