Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 performance issues?

JSlan
Beginner

Hello,

I've been having some issues with the AC 7265 card seemingly having throughput/connectivity issues. I've reference the document and changed most of those settings. I currently have configured:

U-APSD Support - Disabled

Transmit Power - Highest

Preferred Band - 5.2Ghz

Wireless Mode - 802.11a/b/g

HT Mode - VHT

Ad Hoc QOS Mode - WMM Disabled

I've also configured the PC to not be allowed to turn of the network adapter to save power in the device manager.

My wireless network has really good 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz coverage with 20Mhz channels only. I'm also running the latest driver for AC-7265 (8.33.0.1). The scenario I came across today:

• The card was connected on the 5Ghz frequency.
  • The laptop was connected for roughly 23 hours straight to the same AP.
  • The client was connected with very good signal strength of -63 RSSI with a SNR of 29 on AP1. I observed really high latency and lots of ping drops from my machine to the cart. I also observed that during a speed test there would be significant throughput drop that corresponded with the ping drops. I did not see any issues that would indicate any sort of wireless layer 2 issue. Whenever I tried to send any sort of significant data through the wireless cart is when I would start seeing the ping latency jump and ping packets not respond.
  • The client roamed to another access point AP2 where it connected with a better signal of -45 RSSI with a SNR of 46 (also on the 5 Ghz). I experienced the same exact same performance issues that I observed while connected to AP1. Lots of ping drops and poor throughput when trying to send any data.
  • I tried to adjust a setting on the wireless card settings and that reset the wireless connection on the cart. I am no longer experiencing the performance issues I was seeing for the past 3 hours while connected to the same AP2. My speed tests are almost 3 times faster after the WiFi card was reset by changing the setting. Would changing the 2.4Ghz channel width from "auto" to "20Mhz" cause the network card driver to reload? I changed this setting back to auto and I'm still seeing the much better performance.
  • There was no interference on the 5Ghz spectrum during this time.

The fact that I witnessed this poor performance behavior on 2 seperate AP would lead me to believe that there is potentially an issue with the driver. Has anyone seen this type of behavior with these cards? Any input would be helpful. I believe we are experiencing this on a lot of laptops.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
17 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Slaney31,

Intel recommends that if this wireless adapter is the one installed by factory, you should use the latest drivers provided by the OEM even though their version may be an earlier version that that we have available as they add customizations in order to be fully compatible with your system.

We also understand you are using driver version 18.33.0. We have recently come up with a new driver version for this wireless adapter: 18.40.0 that contains a lot of fixes. For your convenience, here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265 Drivers & Software - Please make sure to dowload the one that is right for your OS version and architecture (32 or 64 bit). Please proceed as follows below and let us know if this new version helped you resolve this issue.

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall the current "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

2. Also in Programs and Features, Uninstall Intel® WiDi Software.

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

6. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
JSlan
Beginner

I'm currently not using the Intel PROSet/Wireless software package. Is there installation package that's drivers only like the 18.33.0? I've got a case opened with Dell as well to see what they recommend for this laptop. The other package with the drivers is easy to deploy because it requires no user interaction.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

slaney31,

Thank you for the information. Please let us know the results once you decide to use our lateste version informed above after you check with Dell*.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello slaney31,

We would like to know if you got any reply from Dell*. Please let us know if you still need our assistance. We will be more than glad to help you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello slaney31,

We have not heard from you in a while. We would like to know if you have a answer from Dell* and if there is anything else you need from us in order to resolve this issue. Please let us know at your earliest convenience.
0 Kudos
MHoag
Beginner

I purchased a HP Envy laptop in Sep 2015. Have had ongoing internet problem since purchase to this day. Switched providers, different routers, driver upgrades, and recommended device setup. Nothing corrects the problem. Upon startup, fast and responsive. With each additional move sites become slower and likely as not dropped. I am running Win 10 64 bit as delivered from Best Buy. I sure would like to find a solution to this problem. Don't think throwing money at it is the solution, unless it is a proven fix (maybe a new card to replace the AC 7265).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Marv,

Intel is constantly working to always improve the wireless products such as the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260. We will be more than glad to assist you. According to your report, we understand you are having issues with the adapter. Could you be so kind and provide more details on the issue you have been experiencing?
0 Kudos
MHoag
Beginner

Pretty much described it in my post. I use Chrome or Fire Fox for browsers. Computer is HP Envy m7, Internet service was AT&T, now Dish satellite. Routers is Netgear AC750 R6050. Other routers and modems have been used in the past with the same problems I am still experiencing with present equipment. I involved HP support almost immediately after purchase. They made changes to drivers and made sure everything was setup correctly. Problem not solved. During the months of Jan, Feb March, and part of April, I used my ATT smart phone or tablet service to make hot spots for internet access. Still had problems. April 20, Dish satellite service installed, not change in performance. When I acces the internet I expect reasonable speed on accessing a site. As I use or move around the site, with each click it gets slower, takes longer to access new tab, until eventually I get the page not responding message. Its like being on a system where more and more people access a site until the site gets so slow it finally crashes, no more bandwidth. I have been downloading upgrades from HP support depending on the size of the file it may complete the download, larger files usually stall before finishing.

Recent changes I have made involver HP driver 18.32.1.2 latest on their site. Used device manager to access AC7265 and made sure it was set up per instructions in other posts on this forum. The problem is with this computer. My daughter has used her Toshiba on my system and it works well. Hope someone can help.

0 Kudos
MHoag
Beginner

After completing this post and clicking on send the computer stayed on loading so long that I finally clicked out (page unresponsive message). On returning to this site, surprised to see my reply had indeed posted. Don't know what is going on.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Marv,

Have you tried the latest version for this adapter? Consult with your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer and check if they have their latest version: 18.40.0 for this adapter already available as their version may contain customized features designed to guarantee a steady connectivity.

Alternatively you may try our latest drivers found in a link sent previously on this thread (March 21st, 2016) as well as the steps for a clean installation.

Additionally, you may want to try changing channel to a less crowded one to see if any improvement is observed. You may even try the following:

1. Disable the Power saving Functions.

2. Go to Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Power Option and set it to High Performance and apply to default settings.

3. Change the plan settings >>Change Advanced Power Settings >> Wireless Adapter settings >> Power Saving Mode >> and make sure both On Battery and Plugged in are set to maximum Performance.

4. Still in Device Manager >> Network Adapters >> Intel® Dual Band Wireless AC-7265, right click on it and select Properties.

5. In Porperties, select Advanced tab and set U-APSD support to Disabled.

6. Check Transmit Power and make sure it set to 5. Highest.

7. Set the Wireless Mode to 802.11 a/b/g according to the support mode ove your router.

8. Set the Preferred Band to Prefer 2.4GHz band

9. Set the HT Mode to HT Mode for 802.11n compatibility.

10. Set the 802.11n Channel Widith for 2.4GHz to limited 20MHz.

12. Set the Roaming Agressiveness to Lowest.

13. Set the AD Hoc QoS Mode WMM Disabled.

0 Kudos
MHoag
Beginner

As stated in my previous posts, I have already carried out everything on your list except the 18.40.0 driver. It was not listed on HP driver support site... yet.I believe the only fix for this computer would be a compatible wireless card to replace the Inter product. Unfortunately I don't know what that would be. THe only good thing is my ethernet connection works fine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Marv,

You are welcome to try our latest generic driver version: 18.40.0 found in this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265 Downloads for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 according to your OS architecture (32 or 64 Bit) and version and let us know if this worked for you. In this particular case, you may try a clean istallation. Here is how you can do it:

1. Download and save the right drivers according to your OS architecture (32 or 64 Bit) and version from the link above.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

6. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Marv,

We haven't heard from you in a while. We would like to know if you still need our assistance.

0 Kudos
MHoag
Beginner

The procedure listed above is very complicated for me, not that savvy, and old. If I try to carry out the instructions, I will need the confidence I can get everything back up and working. Got to wrap my head around the fact I have to try and fix something I paid a lot of money for. HP should be doing this, not me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Marv,

We understand your concern and in order to help you. Please contact your nearest Intel Contact Center in order to obtain live assistance from one of our technicians that will be more than glad to help you with the steps-by-step procedure. Here is the link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Intel Contact Support - Once you access this link, scroll down just a little and from the options available, select Intel® Wireless Networking Once you have selected this option, you may choose the form of contact that is more convenient for you such as Phone or Chat. if you need any more assistance from us via communities, please do not hesitate to contact us.

*If you are locatated in The United States of America, you may call this number: 1 916 377 7000 - Business hours are from Monday - Friday from 7:00 AM to 5:00PM (Pacific Time).

Please look at these pictures as referece.

This is what you will see when you click on the link above:

After you clicked on the link: Intel® Wireless Networking highlighted above, you will be directed to the following link page below so you can chose among the options for live support.

0 Kudos
dvill5
Beginner

Marv, This worked for me. I have fiber optics internet and I before the reinstall I was at download/upload at about 7mbps (on wireless) after I followed the instructions with the date of May 5, 2016 11:43 AM. I am now at 350mbps (on wireless). I am not really computer savvy either, but I was able to do it. I would say just make sure you can plug in your computer to a wired LAN line to download the Intel Driver Update Utility. because once I uninstalled the drivers, I was no longer able to connect to the internet wirelessly. Good luck.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

dlv1414,

Thanks for confirming that the steps worked for you. Should you have any further questions or doubts, please do hesitate to contact us.

best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos