Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Issue when switching between themes Windows 8.1 Enterprise

AAlam4
Beginner

Hello,

First I have a Dell Notebook Model Inspiron 15z 5523, I bought it 4 months ago.

I uninstalled the pre-installed Windows 8 due to crashes in Windows and installed Windows 8.1 Enterprise but I faced a strange issue which making me not happy at all.

First things first, after installation finishes and when I get into Windows, no drivers or programs installed.

I just Right-Click on Desktop and select Personalize to switch between themes, and as soon as I switch back to the Main Windows theme, a quick black flicker occurs, at first I thought it is a Windows issue since I still didn't install even the Intel Graphics driver.

Now, right after I install the Graphics driver which is Intel HD Graphics 4000, I downloaded it from the Windows 8.1 section in dell website.

and then after installing it, I face the following issue.

When I click inside any open folder as shown in this recorded video and when I click on Desktop, doing this back and forth and I notice quick flickering inside the open windows.

You will see this at second 0:26 in the video.

It is also obvious in this video, I am doing this with the Intel Graphics Control Panel window.

The issue occurs at the time 0:10 and 0:25

However, I installed Windows 8 Single Language and the issue doesn't occur.

But I am happy with Windows 8.1 editions.

I tried installing Windows 8.1 Professional which has this theme as Windows Main theme and the issue occurs with any Windows 8.1 with this orange Windows Main theme.

So, when I switch between Windows theme and Lines and Colors or Flowers themes and then switch back to Windows theme I get this quick screen flicker.

So I assume this is a Windows related issue and bug, am I right? Since I didn't get the issue with Windows 8 Single Language, so that means no problems with my screen or graphics driver or any conflicting in hardware issue.

Damn, I am not happy with this issue.

Can you please tell me if this is the really supported graphics driver for this model supporting Windows 8.1 Enterprise that have this orange Main Windows theme. If not, can you please provide me with the correct driver?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi AmgedIsmail,

I am sorry you are having this problem but let me help you.

It is important to mention that drivers provided by the Computer Manufacture are special for their systems so you can try installing our generic driver.

Before installing the generic Graphics driver from our side, You must install all other drivers provided by the Computer Manufacture such as Chipset driver, Management Engine Driver, etc… and then you install the graphics driver.

I recommend you uninstalling the current driver and installing the latest driver for your system at this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23885 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23885

If you have problems during the installation, here you can check other steps of installation:

/docs/DOC-22542 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22542

Kevin M

0 Kudos
AAlam4
Beginner

Yes, but I tried installing that latest driver but the issue persists.

Any further help please??

I think you may haven't noticed this issue while switching themes in Windows 8.1 with the latest driver as well??

0 Kudos
AAlam4
Beginner

I am also having "Intel Management Engine Components" and "Intel Chipset" drivers installed.

0 Kudos
AAlam4
Beginner

What is that? Is that another driver for my system?

OK I am going to try that out.

0 Kudos
AAlam4
Beginner

Hello again

First, installing the driver you provided me didn't solve the issue.

Well, I re-installed the Windows. After installing Windows is complete and it finished personalizing my settings.

I didn't install any drivers not even the Intel Graphics driver.

What I first did after installing a fresh Windows 8.1 Enterprise, I tried to switch the themes and hehehe the issue occurs with even the Basic Microsoft Display Adapter installed. See the video.

Notice the quick orange flickering inside the Screen Resolution Window. Notice when I click outside of it and then click inside it I often get the flickering issue inside that window.

0 Kudos