Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14537 Discussions

Looking to upgrade memory to PC2-5300, but find AMD only DIMM's. Can I use those?

BHick3
Beginner

I have Asus P5LP-LE (Leonite) by HP. It is rated with the following:

Chipset

* Northbridge: Intel 945G

* Southbridge: ICH7DH

FSB

* 533 MHz, 800 MHz, 1066 MHz (processor dependent)

Processor Support

* Socket type: 775

- Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

* Core 2 Duo E6x00 **** I upgraded from the stock to an E6700

* Core 2 Duo E4x00

* Pentium D 9x0 Dual Core

* Pentium D 8xx Dual Core

* Pentium 4 6x1 series

* Celeron D 3xx series

Memory Support

* Dual channel memory architecture

* Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets

* Supports PC2 3200 (400 MHz), PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs

* non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

* Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB

Now, according to this listing, I should be able to install PC2-5300 DDR2 DIMM's. Looking for DIMM's on eBay, and it seems like there is nothing BUT AMD DIMM's. Is there really a difference between "AMD" vs "INTEL" DIMM's? Can I use a DIMM that is for an AMD on this board? I don't want to put a whole lot of money into this system since I'm going to be doing a complete upgrade later on. But I do need to upgrade ram especially since i've installed Win10x64 and from clean boot, the system is utilizing 1.3-1.5Gig of my 3Gig of ram. (DIMM slot # 4 is dead, so can only use 3 slots. Want to upgrade to 2x 4Gig modules) Also, is it possible to upgrade to PC2-6400? I know the stats dont include that speed, but I know that some memory can be installed of a higher speed, and it will run fine at the slightly lower speed. But, I dont know if there is some kind of internal regulator that keeps the faster memory from working. Thanks for any help,Korishan
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Henry_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello Korishan;

AMD vs. Intel is just the manufacturer and the price. So any of the memory or any other manufacturer will work.

The PC2-6400 will not work on this particular model.

Regards;

Henry A.