Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD4400 Last Known Updated Bios

NBell2
Beginner

Hello ..

Could i ask when was the last time the Bios on the Intel HD4400 was update by you please ..? Because right now I see from my HD 4400 it hasn't been updated since Intel BIOS Version: 2179 PC 14.34 10/07/2013 10:03:35 ..3 years, 7 months old Am also trying to figure out if Lenovo have been a bit lazy on the support side of thing.. Because I need update for my laptop for a better Windows 10 experience .. Also in the past I have noticed with other brands there were also a bios updates for Intel graphics within the Bios updates when issuing new Bios updates ..

Even looking at Bios updates for my laptop the Bios also states Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit Microsoft Windows 8 64bit Microsoft Windows 7 32bit, 64bit support only .. Also looking around and see stuff like this.? Your system may require additional software, firmware, and/or a BIOS update to install and run Windows 10... * Please make sure to upgrade the BIOS before upgrade to Windows 10..

So basically now am looking for references and comparing stuff to say hey these are the latest bios versions but why haven't you done an update so we have better Windows 10 experience truth be told right now.

Here is my original message to Lenovo if you would like to look into this matter plus more info : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/BIOS-Update-G40-50-70/td-p/3587108 BIOS Update G40/50-70 - Lenovo Community

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Any bios update for a Lenovo laptop would have to come from none other than LENOVO.

Any drivers you use for your laptop, again, should come from LENOVO.

Yes, you may have Intel HD 4400 graphics. Yes, you may be able to use the latest Intel HD 4400 graphics driver, found here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-4th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-4400.html Support for Intel® HD Graphics 4400

I have no idea of what you are try to say occurred 3 years ago.

However, you should use the LENOVO graphics driver.

If you have any other issues, you should provide the exact model number of the LENOVO laptop, exact operating system, and what your problem is. Then, maybe someone can help you.

Examine your issue, do some research, and think through the problem.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Any bios update for a Lenovo laptop would have to come from none other than LENOVO.

Any drivers you use for your laptop, again, should come from LENOVO.

Yes, you may have Intel HD 4400 graphics. Yes, you may be able to use the latest Intel HD 4400 graphics driver, found here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-4th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-4400.html Support for Intel® HD Graphics 4400

I have no idea of what you are try to say occurred 3 years ago.

However, you should use the LENOVO graphics driver.

If you have any other issues, you should provide the exact model number of the LENOVO laptop, exact operating system, and what your problem is. Then, maybe someone can help you.

Examine your issue, do some research, and think through the problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
NBell2
Beginner
BIOS Version:2179 PC 14.34 10/07/2013 10:03:35

Convert that todays date = 3 years, 7 months old now Windows 10 released on July 29, 2015 now looking at the period with updates thats a long time for hardware plus a new OS that's a long period of time without an update to support a new OS also mixing new software with old hardware can sometimes really doesn't mix well at all with my experience also i was just wondering due to old hardware and new drivers this could also make things hard for other people this was the reason i was asking when was the last bios update to try and determine the problem but anyway the problem seems to be a vram issues anyway by AMD .. Also this blank screen issues seems a very common with Lenovo products since Windows 10 truth be told right now anyway thanks for your suggestions ..

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You are going to have to help me here. LENOVO provides the BIOS for THEIR LAPTOP. If you are confused by terminology, explain what you are trying to say.

Are you trying to talk about the chipset INF?

Are you trying to talk about a graphics driver revision (for which I have already given you a link with 2016 graphic drivers)?

Are you really trying to talk about the BIOS for your laptop (which LENOVO provides)?

You did not provide the exact model of your laptop, which I asked for. Also, provide your exact CPU model number.

What has AMD got to do with this? Are you trying to say you have switchable graphics? If this is the case, then you should get your graphics drivers FROM LENOVO.

In the words of Strother Martin, what we have here is failure to communicate.

Doc

0 Kudos
NBell2
Beginner

Normally in the past i've used Acer and every so often they would bring out Improve system performance bios that also includes graphics card improvement within these updates ... But for some odd reason Lenovo doesn't follow this policy even this latest bios to come out on my Lenovo G40-70 Core i3 4005u Intel HD 44000 / AMD R5 230M hasn't been updated since please see below for info ? Also it mentions for better use of the system that you should do the following before updating to Windows 10. Your system may require additional software, firmware, and/or a BIOS update to install and run Windows 10... * Please make sure to upgrade the BIOS before upgrade to Windows 10 .. So basically it feel like now they are giving me lip service what i find annoying by them to be honest with you even waiting 4 months for an update is joke in all fairness if you find stuck in this situation also even RMA wouldn't solve this problem because updates are not being met by them now truth be told right now this is frustrating because they not taking problems seriously from the consumers and people on these forums who are supposably helping seem to just use google for answers to be fair ..

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/th/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Lenovo-G-Series-laptops/G40-70-Notebook-Lenovo/downloads laptops and netbooks :: lenovo g series laptops :: g40 70 notebook lenovo Lenovo PC Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated Date 2015/07/20

Software name 9ACN32WW

Version 32

Support models G40/50-70

Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit

Microsoft Windows 8 64bit

Microsoft Windows 7 32bit, 64bit

Note:

Refer to marketing materials to find out what computer models support which Operating Systems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What this package does:

BIOS, abbreviation of Basic Input/Output System, is integrated in ROM chip on main board, which contains the basic.

Input/output program, system configuration information, system startup self-check and pre-setup programs.

BIOS provide most basic low-level hardware operations; it is the connection between software and hardware, and interfacing window of hardware and operating system.

Note: Make note of any settings you have changed in the BIOS Configuration Utility. These settings may have to be re-entered after updating the BIOS.

Attention: Do not power off or restart your computer during the BIOS flashing process, which will cause serious damage and improper functioning of your computer.

Print this file so that you can refer to it during the installation.

Changes in this release

Version 32

BIOS Notification:

1. Fixed

1) Follow LNV PCR to fix UEFI vulnerability LEN-2015049: Configuration Bypass During S3 Resume.

2. Add

1) N/A

3. Modified

1) N/A

EC Notification:

1. Fixed

1) Save storage mode flag to EC ROM in order to fix storage mode lost when shutdown without AC power.

2. Add

1) N/A

3. Modified

1) N/A

Limitation:

N/A

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing the package

1. Windows

Run 9acn32ww.exe (With admin authority)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trademarks

* Lenovo, ThinkPad and ThinkVantage are registered trademarks of Lenovo.

* Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation.

* Microsoft, Internet Explorer and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.

Other company, product, and service names may be registered trademarks, trademarks or service marks of others.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your issue is with LENOVO, not INTEL

If Lenovo has a updated bios, get it from them. Intel only provides a bios for Intel Boards and systems.

If Lenovo has updated graphics drivers for their switchable graphics drivers, get it from them. Mixing graphics drivers will cause you problems.

Thank you for the education on what BIOS stands for. I cannot believe I have gone on this long without such help.

There is nothing Intel can do for you. You must deal with LENOVO to solve your issues.

Doc

0 Kudos
NBell2
Beginner

I was thinking maybe just maybe i could have done something like this but even cant find bios to try it ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2288384/upgrade-gpu-bios.html How to Upgrade Your GPU BIOS - Graphics Cards - Tom's Hardware

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, I see what you were driving at now. Yes, on add-on cards like those used in PCIe x16 slots, they can have firmware that can be updated. You would have to get such a firmware update from the manufacturer of the add-on card. However, the Intel HD4400 graphics are on the processor chip.

Updating the motherboard BIOS to correct any problems with the implementation of features/components on the Lenovo motherboard would have to come from LENOVO. And, for the Intel graphics, it would be best to use the Lenovo supplied driver to preserve any implementation issues with the switchable graphics. Now, that said, you may be able to update the Intel graphics using the link I gave you. But, it may require that you coordinate this update with installing the Lenovo-supplied AMD driver.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In the case of a laptop with switchable graphics, it is likely that the BIOS only uses the Intel graphics solution during POST and BIOS Setup. If this is the case, there won't even be a Video BIOS module for the AMD graphics solution - but if there is, it will be a part of the firmware and installed with, and as part of, any BIOS updates - which means that should be looking for BIOS Updates from Lenovo.

Once into the Windows environment, I would think that you would be running custom versions of the Intel and AMD graphics drivers - custom in the sense that they have been modified with support for graphics solution switching. In this case, you must get the graphics driver updates through Lenovo; you cannot use the generic versions released by Intel and AMD.

Bottom line, Lenovo must be your source for updates. If they are not providing them, there is not much we can do about it here...

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Al Hill, thank you for your collaboration.

To Nicolas34, the information provided by Al is correct.

You can also contact Lenovo Customer Service & Order Support by phone at 855-253-6686

Don't hesitate in replying to this post if you have further questions.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
NBell2
Beginner

I appreciate your help thank you very much guys been more then helpful to say Lenovo ..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nicolas34,

I am sorry that the issue could not be fixed from our end.

Remember that all updates related to the Intel® HD Graphics 4400 can be found http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-4th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-4400.html here.

Please keep us posted about any finding with the system manufacturer.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
NBell2
Beginner

it's okay i have move of Windows back on to macOS where everything is stable .. I think this is the end for me with Windows anyway but i'll see what the next big update is like also i did move on to Windows 7 the system was stable for around 4 hours where i noticed no buzzing sound or blank screen but the screen started to play up again .. it's annoying but i can live without windows these day any how ..

0 Kudos