Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

Programming i210 Blank Flash w/ EEUPDATE & LANConf

JBean1
Novice

Greetings,

I'm following the directions from document 513655. Running EEUPDATE shows my two i210 controllers (one working, and one blank). Using both EEUPDATE & LANConf to attempt to program the blank flash results in a timeout error that occurs after 5+ minutes of the tool claiming that it is writing to flash.

LANCOnf gives the following: c86a0004 - "Timeout Error" when programming i210 blank flash

I'm using the following versions on an Intel Atom E3815 processor on Ubuntu 16.04.2

eeupdate64e: EEUPDATE v5.26.17.11

lanconfig64e: LANConf v1.26.17.11

lshw shows the driver as: driver=igb driverversion=5.3.0-k

I've tried flashing with multiple 4Mb files onto a 4Mb flash On Semi LE25U40CMC

Below is the eeupdate log:

root@ubuntu-serv-slim:/# ./eeupdate64e /NIC=1 /DATA Dev_Start_I210_Copper_NOMNG_4Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.bin

Using: Intel (R) PRO Network Connections SDK v2.26.17

EEUPDATE v5.26.17.11

Copyright (C) 1995 - 2015 Intel Corporation

Intel (R) Confidential and not for general distribution.

Driverless Mode

NIC Bus Dev Fun Vendor-Device Branding string

=== === === === ============= =================================================

1 2 00 00 8086-1531 Intel(R) I210 Blank NVM Device

2 4 00 00 8086-1533 Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection

Writing SHARED FLASH. PLEASE DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS.

1: Shared Flash image update FAILED! Timeout Error

I've attempted to access the most recent tools in document 348742 below but get "Access Denied: Privileged Access Required"

I have R&DC privileges and was able to download the I210 flash images.

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/embedded/nda/products/networking/networking-connections-software-tools.html?wapkw=348742 https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/embedded/nda/products/networking/networking-connections-software-tool

Any suggestions you have are appreciated.

Enjoy,

Jason

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the inquiry. You can try contact Intel Field Application engineer or the system vendor with regards to programming on i210 flash.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
JBean1
Novice

I'm the system developer. I'm trying to find a way to program the NVM for a new product using the Intel tools. I programmed the chip using an external programmer and placed the part on my board and got the I210 to boot correctly. I can dump the contents of NVM and they match what I programmed out of circuit. Can you direct me to someone who can explain the errors from the Intel tools and explain why they would timeout?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the reply. I will check on this and update you if there is any feedback.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
JBean1
Novice

One additional note is that after putting the pre-programmed flash onto the board I was able to use EEUPDATE to revise the check sum. So in summary, EEUPDATE can update the flash, but not program a blank flash.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jason,

Further checking, please post your inquiry at embedded support for them to better assist you.

https://embedded.communities.intel.com/community/en

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos