Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Run PC at TJunction Max for all the time?

idata
Employee

Is it possible to run the PC at TJunction Max Temperature at all the time?

I work in a hot area, also a good cooler is not good enough for this area. So i alway reach the TJunction Max,but throttling is really minor, i can live with that.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello VanDiesel,

It is possible, but it is not recommended. The processor is meant to reach these temperatures when it by itself requires it, if the TJunction is being reached by external elements and in this case a hot area, the processor will not likely hold for that long.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the answer. The throttling is really minor. If I run it at 5°C lower Room temperatur the Tjunction is about 102-103°C and no throtteling. Tjunction Max is 105. So I'm not so far away.

If the CPU runs only 1 1/2 - 2 years it's ok. Is this realistic?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, in your example it can run the whole 2 years or may fail in 6 months, that is really uncertain based on this specific scenario and by that I mean the hot area. But, I must say that is really hard to set a date for the processor to fail, and again I mention this because of the high temperatures yo will be exposing the CPU to.

If you have more questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

But why is Intel not throttling the CPU at 85°C when 105 °C is to dangerous for the lifespan?

Also I run the CPU for several houres (10 houres) at 105°C. Do I have to be worry about that?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/112063 VanDiesel, as it was mentioned before, it is possible but no recommended especially since the processor is reaching these temps due to the environment. The processor can be used in that scenario, but the fact that you are running the processor in a hot area makes it really difficult to diagnose. My only recommendation in your case is to try to get the best environment for the processor in order to it to perform as expected.

Regarding the throttling, this will depend on the components that you are using; the fan, your motherboard, the updates you have installed, and also the environment.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/112063 VanDiesel, hope the information posted above helped you, and if you need further assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos