Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14510 Discussions

Intel i7 4770 @ 4.1GHz

DGrei
Beginner

Planning to have a workstation build that includes an Intel I7-4770K @ 4.1 GHz 8MB Shared L3 Cache DMI 2.0 Quad Core 4th generation processor and 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1866MHz memory.

Two questions. 1) Intel site states this processor has a turbo clock speed of 3.9GHz so do I assume the processor is being overclocked? 2) The memory spec states that this processor only supports DDR3-1333/1600 memory so is the 1866MHz not being utilized.

The company building the computer is reputable but not sure about the inconsistencies between my build and the Intel specs. Do you need additional information to comment on this specification issue?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi NHGranite,

The based clock speed of Intel® processor i7-4770K is 3.5 GHz and can reach up to 3.9 GHz using the Intel® Turbo Boost. This feature provides the capability to increase the processor speed in a safe way so that the system can finish a specific task.

On the other hand, the processor can use a memory with a speed up to 1600MHz but if the memory is faster than the maximum memory specifications the system may show strange behavior and in the worst case the system can fail.

My best recommendation is to use the default speed and settings on the processor to void damaging the unit and this as well for your memory question.