Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

How do I remove RST software and drivers safely

GGreg4
Beginner

A bios company said to add this so I could run my SSD on older Alienware M17 with old BIOS on my JMB36x storage controller that has taken over my BIOs since suggested? And will I still be able to access my storage....trying to install Linux and RST won't do it.

I'll never buy another Dell because no new Bios's because Dell bought Alienware shortly after i purchased my M17 and abandoned it!!! Sorry.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SamSpade,

What I understand is that you want to install Linux on your machine now, and you want to know if you will lose your storage after installing Linux, correct?

First of all, I recommend doing any back up of your system, before doing any changes on your machine.

If you are planning to install Linux in a HDD other than the one where you have the information you should be able to access your data and you will not need to have the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

In case you need this information, please see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005769.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

If you are planning to install Linux in another partition on the same SSD, you should be able to access the data as well.

Please let me know if this is what you need or I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your issue.

Note: This information is provided as a courtesy by Intel. Contact your Linux* vendor for additional questions and support.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
GGreg4
Beginner

I'm very tired and my back is killing me so I'll try with these distractions.

I have a dual boot system already SSD with Win 7 64 and HDD which I rearely use With Vista So we will deal with SSD only.

TheSSD had a 400 Meg Partition and a 100 for total of 500 Ran fine old BIOS I had a Bios updater and it suggested to install RST on this machine. Did so later (now ) I want to install Linux and can't because RST says it can't be installed with RST I'm wondering if I've made my machine too complicated and really needs to have RST and drivers to co back to JMB36XX controller board it actually has. Divice Manger shows it AND Intell BOTH which i surmise Intell haas grabbed Micron and taken over and don't want to start over.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In this case, if your system requires the IRST to work, this is design by your system manufacturer and they have customized your system to work the way it is.

To be honest, your system manufacturer is more familiar with your system and how the components interact with each other, they typically provide software that is specifically configured for your system.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos