Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Very high package temperature with low CPU usage (?)

MMark36
Beginner

Hi,

Recently I've bought a laptop with the i7 6700HQ processor, in combination with the GTX 960M. Currently I am having a CPU temperature of 80 with 13,8 CPU usage. It gets to 100 on 2 cores, not all 4, causing it not to go to the TJ max. Is this normal? Ofcourse this is with 100 CPU usage.

A screenshot has been attached to this thread.

Thank you in advance.

PS. This is with a Clevo chassis.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MarkjeD,

In regard to your current concern. According to the information from our website your http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz?q=i7%206700HQ Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor is able to work with a temperature of:

TJUNCTION 100°C

This means that you are working under our recommended temperature. Although, at this moment we do not support SpeedFan testing tool. For further details, you can use your manufacturer tool or Intel® XTU for testing porpuses, and you can download it at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

Kind regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
MMark36
Beginner

Hi Angie,

I think you are missing the bigger picture behind my questioning. Ofcourse they are under the TJ max, but I hope the 100 degrees is not the recommended temperature as you are stating in your reply. The bigger question is actually pretty simple, with this high degrees, on this low CPU usage, will this decrease the lifetime of my CPU? And also, the application you stated that I should use did not work, it returns with false on the processor list. Weird, seeing as every other application is reading my processor just fine. It is just a few degrees under the TJ max on maximal CPU usage, which is around 96-97. The laptop is fairly new, so the dust still has to heap up on the laptop ventilators, will this increase the chance of ever hitting the 100 degrees? I've never had a laptop with this high temperatures, not even my other i7 gets this hot.

Thank you Angie for your reply, I am looking forward to your next reply.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MarkjeD,

In regard to your latest reply to provide you more information.

The mobile processors, as the one that you have Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor, the temperature is delimited under TJUNCTION.

The Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die.

On this case, the temperature indicated under TJUNCTION it is the expected temperature that your processor will reach.

Also if your processor it is working at the temperature indicated (on this case TJUNCTION 100°C for your processor) or below to it, this will not affect the lifetime of your CPU. It will be the opposite.

Although, if your processor starts to work with a temperature that it is over the one that it is indicated we will have to do a second review to determine the root of this change.

So, back to your concern, the temperature if it is 100°C or below, it will not affect the lifetime of your processor.

As a friendly reminder, if you still have any other concern with the temperature of your processor we do not support SpeedFan testing tool. For further research, you can use your manufacturer tool or Intel® XTU for testing porpuses, and you can download it at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So the change of temperature is more important than max temperature? Does heat-cycle damage cpu same as discrete gpus? What about different solder types?

0 Kudos
MMark36
Beginner

Angie has answered my question(s) perfectly, but I still have a hard time believing that the life of a CPU wouldn't decrease with like 85+ degrees on the whole time. Though, if a Intel helper says it does not, then I have to believe it right!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MarkjeD,

As previously was commented, the processor was designed to support the temperature of 100°C or below and you can confirm this on our official website, under Package Specifications):

http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz?q=i7%206700HQ Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor

Regards,

Angie.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tugrul_8192bit,

In regards to your concern, the usage the each customer gives to their device that the temperature may change while the system it is running. Also, the weather may have an effect on this change.

And if the temperature of the processor it is running over the recommended by Intel, it may cause a serious damage to your processor or even to the whole motherboard.

If you have further concerns non-related to the temperature, you can also open a new thread, so the next agent will provide you more information.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MarkjeD,

I would like to know if the information that I have provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Angie.

0 Kudos