Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

The Intel HD Graphics driver updates aren't supported for Windows 10. Why?

idata
Employee

I understand that the Intel HD Graphics driver updates are not being supported for Windows 10, but why?

This generation of on board graphics cards has no problems displaying Windows 10, the operating system is smooth on a 1920 x 1080 display. Most average programs, even the latest Adobe suites all run decent. Some issues with graphics when you get a lot going at once. But then there will be a game or some other program that stutters and it's so close to running smoothly but can't. Or some detail in the sky is the hang up causing the stuttering. I can play SWTOR on here and Civilization V runs pretty good on a standard map but as the game goes on and it's processing more and more visual data, things slow down a little bit.

And then I look at my driver date, which reads 2012, and I wonder if an update 4-5 years later could fix some of those little things?

I know, I know, buy a new computer. This thing is 6 years old now, cost $500 and was the display model at the store. I've increased the RAM but the motherboard can't handle an external graphics card. This computer has been through a lot and is still performing really well for being a cheapo computer. It has pretty much run 24/7 for 6 years straight except when I was moving. So I can't complain too much. I did replace the HDD as it died last year, so I bought Windows 10 with a new HDD and now I can't roll back to Windows 7. This has been a really great computer, I'd like to keep it around even when I build a new one.

I figured since it's an onboard graphics card and a lot of those motherboards didn't allow for an external graphics cards that Intel would support it through Windows 10. It seems like I'm not the only one who would like to have an update for Windows 10.

I guess I don't know a lot about drivers, maybe it's a really obvious reason. I just want to know why it's not supported.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Why? The cost of maintaining and supporting those graphics products.

You may want to review this page to get an idea of the magnitude of the problem:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello licariphoto,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos