Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Dell 7348 with Intel HD Grahics 5500 cannot boot into Windows 10 Creators Update using latest graphics drivers, it does boot however using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. Any suggestions on how to fix?

EEscu1
Beginner

So as the topic says, I installed the WIndows 10 Creators Update (clean install using a USB installer, newly formatted drive) on my Dell 7348, and when I install the Intel HD Graphics 5500 drivers and reboot, the laptop freezes on the black screen with spinning white dots.

I have removed all USB peripherals and turned on and off Secure Boot in the UEFI settings, but the issue still occurs regardless.

I have tried using the following Intel drivers, but the issue still occurs:

• The package on Dell's support page for the 7348, which installs Intel Graphics Driver Version 20.19.15.4463
  • The drivers fetched by Windows 10 via Windows Update, which also installs Intel Graphics Driver Version 20.19.15.4463
  • Intel's official and latest drivers on the Intel website, which installs the Intel Graphics Driver Version 20.19.15.4624
  • Intel's official and latest drivers using the Intel Driver Update Utility, which also installs Intel Graphics Driver Version 20.19.15.4624

But when I revert to using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, I am able to boot normally.

Would anyone know of a long-term fix for this? Any help would be much appreciated.

My basic system information, for reference:

CPU: Intel Core i5-5200 2.20 GHz

RAM: 8GB installed

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5500

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

At http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-13-7348-laptop/drivers/advanced Support for Inspiron 7348 2-in-1 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US there's a driver 20.19.15.4531 you can try.

Is your BIOS up-to-date?

Any yellow bangs in device manager?

Did you install some of the custom software offered by DELL?

0 Kudos
EEscu1
Beginner

Hi Stefan, thanks for the reply.

I tried the older Dell drivers and older versions as well from Intel's download page, but unfortunately the issue still happens on reboot.

Yes, the BIOS is up to date using the latest download from Dell, version A09.

No yellow bangs in device manager, so all my hardware are installed okay.

No, I didn't install any of the custom Dell software like Dell Update etc. Aside from BIOS all my hardware drivers were installed using Windows Update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kyre-Ph,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please bear in mind that, your best contact support is Dell as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

Caution: On April 11, 2017, Microsoft began the https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/25/windows-10-creators-update-rollout-first-phase-update/ Windows®10 Creators Update rollout. Microsoft recommends—unless you're an advanced user who is prepared to work through some issues—that you wait until the Windows 10 Creators Update is automatically offered.

You can participate in the Microsoft community for Windows Updates and follow Creators Update issues.

You could try something else, you can uninstall the Intel driver you already have installed and reinstall it manually, you can download the latest graphics driver here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210 Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Please see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver and check how to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

If this doesn't work you will need to contact Dell for further assistance.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
EEscu1
Beginner

Hi Ivan, thanks for your suggestions.

This has been fixed:

1. Install the cumulative update KB4020102 for WIndows 10 and run the Intel driver update utility and install the latest graphics drivers
  2. Reset all power plans to their default settings prior to restarting.
  3. Turn off Fast Boot in power settings prior to restarting.
  4. Restart and it should boot normally.
0 Kudos
EEscu1
Beginner

Okay, so the problem happened again with the latest updates. I finally found the source of the problem: the Intel (R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service is what keeps hanging on boot.

All you need is to disable it on starup as follows (this assumes you've already installed the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers):

1. Boot into WIndows 10 either normally (if possible) or in Safe Mode (option 4 in Windows 10 Auto Repair > Advanced Options > Troubleshooting > Advanced > Restart).

2. Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > System Configuration (you can also open Windows Search and look for System Configuration).

3. In System Configuration, modify the following:

• Home tab

- Choose Selective Startup

- Tick the checkbox for Load System Services

- Tick the checkbox for Load Startup Items

- Untick Use Original Boot Configuration.

• Boot tab

- Untick all checkboxes except for Boot Log.

• Services tab

- Look for and untick the checkbox for Intel (R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service

4. Click Apply and restart. Windows 10 should now boot normally and the Intel HD Graphics driver still installed under Device Manager.

I assume that the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel Service keeps conflicting with the internal power settings of Windows 10 in some way that's unique to my machine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for this feedback and for taking your time to share this valuable information with us, it is very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos