Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Trouble with optane

JLu28
Beginner

Hello everyone. Until few days ago, i can run my system with optane well; but recently start showing problems: sometimes cant load the OS, sometimes after loaded OS, will just frozen in desktop screen, sometimes before BIOS appears, show a black screen saying something about metadata. So i want disable my optane.

The one that installed my optane is a technician, i dont know what he did, but he managed enable optane through Intel RST, without install IntelOptaneMemory.exe, so i want ask is: is it possible disable optane through Intel RST and BIOS (as you can check the video in below link)? I tried install inteloptanememory.exe, but said that is already installed, so cant install.

If i disable optane, i´ll lost my datas?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/000024626.html How to Disable System Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello juliolu,

We understand you would like to disable Intel® Optane™ Technology due to freezing up issues.

We'd like to let you know that, while this is an unusual situation, there is no problem if you disable the module from Intel® RST or the BIOS. The easiest way is doing it from the Intel® RST software, once you do this, the module will be totally disabled and your data will be intact.

Now, in order to try to discover what happened, we do recommend to you, in case you want to use it again, to disable the module, secure erase it (Using Diskpart) and then trying to enable it again.

Please let us know if you have further questions or require assistance.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
JLu28
Beginner

So is it possible disable by Intel RST? Them why need install intelmemoryoptane.exe if you can manage the process (enable/disable) in Intel RST?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello juliolu,

You can either choose to install Intel® RST or the setupoptanememory.exe app to handle the acceleration of the Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology.

Only one software can be installed and that is basically a choice for each user. You can go ahead and disable Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology using Intel® RST.

Please let us know if you have any other question.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
JLu28
Beginner

Thanks for reply. I thought that to disable need follow this step: 1) disable in intelmemoryoptane.exe 2) disable in intel RST 3) disable in BIOS; and to enable need follow this step as well

So even i disable (in intel RST and BIOS), i wont lost my data?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello juliolu,

System acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory may be disbled via either of the software applications (Optane™ Memory OR Rapid Storage Technology Software), or through your BIOS. But you don't need to disable it in both places, as they're are all connected.

While we do always recommend to keep any important information backed up, there should be little to no risk of you losing your data.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos