Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

I7 6700k Event ID 56 Lockdown

idata
Employee

When looking on the internet to find what was the cause of the Event ID 56, almost everyone was saying that it was a faulty Cpu,

is there a recall on the Skylake? or a way to fix the issue?

It's my first time dealing with "cpu" trouble so i dont really know what to to, if you could help me troubleshoot the issue that would be great.

how my pc is affected:

it start with a black screen, then i lose the sound.

only way to bring the pc back is to force restart it.

after looking at the event log, I've notice that every time i crash, this event also occurs Event ID 56.

whole error message:

The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

ACPI

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

- <</span>Event xmlns=" http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <</span>System>

<</span>Provider Name="Application Popup" Guid="{47bfa2b7-bd54-4fac-b70b-29021084ca8f}" EventSourceName="Application Popup" />

<</span>EventID Qualifiers="49156">56</</span>EventID>

<</span>Version>0</</span>Version>

<</span>Level>2</</span>Level>

<</span>Task>0</</span>Task>

<</span>Opcode>0</</span>Opcode>

<</span>Keywords>0x80000000000000</</span>Keywords>

<</span>TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-08-26T19:33:48.850986400Z" />

<</span>EventRecordID>875</</span>EventRecordID>

<</span>Correlation />

<</span>Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="128"<span c...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't believe that this even has anything to do with the cause of your issue. Event Id 56 is described as follows: "The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client". I believe that this is more of a consequence of the issue.

There is an errata that affects both Skylake and Kaby Lake Core processors (and all derivatives). This errata can cause issues when Hyperthreading is in use (and you have a hyperthreaded processor). Intel released new microcode that fixes this errata. By now, I would expect that all board vendors would have released new BIOSs that contain this microcode. I would make sure that you are running on the latest BIOS available for your board and, if the release notes for this BIOS do not indicate that they include the new microcode, you should contact your board vendor and find out whether they have done their jobs and released a new BIOS.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your reply, i will check right now for the bios update,

i will update this post afterward to see if the bios update fixed the issue.

UPdate: you are correct, there's a bios update that update, luckly for me bios update for my motherboard a quite simple ( that will be my first time flashing a bios )

SaberTooth z170 mark 1

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

sadly i still have the issue, i have no idea where it's coming from.. the good and the bad news is that i no longer have the event id 56 critical error.. meaning that i now have no more lead to where to look for the issue,

I've notice that i have screen flicker when launching a full screen app, with the sound of plugin and unplugging peripheral,

i know it might no longer be related to the cpu but do you know how to diag a power supply or a graphic card?

0 Kudos