Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 630 no audio bitstream with 4K HDR content

NNach1
Beginner

Hi,

It seems there is some issue with the WDDM 2.2 (15.46) drivers where if I play a 4K HDR content the sound track of the file is not passed through to the AVR (Onkyo TX-RZ900). The software is PowerDVD 17.

The HDR metadata is passed as the TV is detecting and saying it is playing HDR content but the audio is missing.

If I revert back to WDDM 2.1 version (15.45) the problem goes away and I can play 4K HDR content at 60Hz without any problems.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
NNach1
Beginner

An update of the situation. Dolby TrueHD is actually working but most of the time the player is crashing. Dolby Atmos or DTS:X doesn't work at all.

Mainboard is Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 8, as far as I know this MB is using Megachips converter chip to convert the signal from a DP one to HDMI 2.0. The firmware of the chip is the latest one 1.66.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachkov,

I understand you are having sound issues while playing 4K HDR content with our latest graphics driver.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

Just for testing purposes, do you get the same issue if you remove the Onkyo receiver?

Are you using HDMI to HDMI cable?

Let me also know the exact error message you are getting in PowerDVD when it crashes.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
NNach1
Beginner

Hello Fred,

You are right, the only issue I have is with the sound and it is happening with the 2 version of 15.46 drivers that were released for download here in the download center. As I mentioned if I revert back to 15.45 version of the drivers, everything is fine. Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, DTS:X and Dolby Atmos are working, together with 4K HDR at 60Hz.

My TV is an LG B6J and from what I am seeing in the specs it support only DTS-HD MA and I do not think that if I connect the PC directly to the TV (bypassing the Onkyo) the test will be relevant, but I will try once I get home.

I will also check what is the exact error PowerDVD is having but from what I can remember, it is only saying it crashed and asked me to send a report or not. I need to check through the logs of the system or PowerDVD itself. Will reply back with the results.

And yes, I am using an HDMI to HDMI connection with a Premium certified HDMI cable.

From my point of view the issue is with the drivers because the only thing I am changing between working and not working state is the driver and nothing else. SGX is installed and enabled, and the SGX compatibility tools verifies it is working. Cyberlink UHD advisor tells me that I am able to play 4K UHD HDR content and indeed this is the case, no problems with the picture.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachkov,

What are the exact audio settings you are using on PowerDVD 17? If possible provide a screenshot.

We are working on HDR improvements on Kaby Lake, but it is schedule for Windows* Redstone 3 update.

Internally we have been able to make PowerDVD work by using the following settings:

Select Video, Audio, Subtitles, then select More Audio Settings
  • Make sure Output mode is set to Non-decoded high-definition audio to ext…
  • Click Miscellaneous tab and click the WASAPI Exclusive option

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
NNach1
Beginner

Hi again,

The settings are exactly what you described. Non decoded high def audio to external device (as I want my AVR to perform the audio decoding) and exclusive audio is also checked. They are always like this.

If I play 1080P HD content, all audio formats are passed to the AVR. No problem at all. No matter if it is a BluRay disk or an MKV file.

The issue occurs only if I play 4K HDR content, then DTS X and Dolby Atmos aren't outputted to the AVR and if the player doesn't crash I might get Dolby TrueHD. Again no matter if it is a BluRay disk or MKV file.

Regarding PowerDVD error you asked, nothing specific, only a prompt to send the report to Cyberlink which contains 2 dump files. I've sent this report because there might be an issue with PowerDVD itself, not sure about it, but since all is fine with 15.45 drivers I am thinking that the cause might be actually within the drivers.

You are saying that you have successfully been able to get PowerDVD working but what have you tested exactly?

Have you played a 4K HDR content with DTS:X or Dolby Atmos to an external AVR of some kind or you have just played some HD content with these sound formats?

I really appreciate your feedback, but from what you are saying I might not have other choice except to wait for Fall Creators update and newer version of the drivers or several ones.

Let me know if I can provide some more information because my idea is to get to the root cause and solve it rather than just waiting for another driver version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachkov,

Let me do further research about this and come back to you.

In the meantime, would you please fill out the form that is in the following link and post it on this forum thread? /thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Please also attach the DxDiag and DispDiag reports.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
NNach1
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

HD audio formats (Dolby Atmos; DTS:X) are not streamed via HDMI to a receiver if a 4K HDR content is played from PowerDVD. Issue is happening only with 15.46 version of the drivers.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Core I7 7700K / Intel HD graphics 630

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No additional video cards on the system, only the integrated one.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LG OLED55B6J

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 8, HDMI to HDMI connection to Onkyo TX-RZ900 AVR, HDMI to LG TV

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

<td style="border: 0px solid black; padding: 0 5.4pt 0 5.4pt; border-right: solid windowtext 1.0pt; border-bottom: solid windowtext 1.0pt; border-left: non...
0 Kudos
NNach1
Beginner

What is Advanced Protected Audio/Video Path (GPU) ?

This requirement passed before, the only one failing was the UHD-BD ODD

I will try to revert to 15.45 driver version and see what will be the result.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachkov,

Thanks for the additional information you sent to me.

Advanced Protected Audio/Video Path is used to enforce digital rights management (or DRM) protections on content. You can find more information on this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_Media_Path https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_Media_Path

I will let you know when I have more information about the issue you are having.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
NNach1
Beginner

Hi Fred,

Sure, take your time, no rush. Thanks for your involvement.

As of the Cyberlink UHD advisor error about PAVP, that is not relevant, I have updated to the latest version of the Advisor and all is green now.

Some additional information which might be useful.

Last night I decided to opt in for Windows Insider program again and installed the latest Redstone 3 build. Can't remember the exact numbers of the build, the situation was the same. I have removed the driver, SGX, Intel MEI and PowerDVD and installed them again, but without any result. Again as soon as I play some 4K HDR content the player is totally crashing or the video is playing (HDR detected by the TV) but without any audio. So I have removed only the Graphics driver and installed the latest 15.45 one and as expected, everything was working as it should, 4K HDR with DTS:X or Dolby Atmos played perfectly.

I think that there might be some issues with the exclusive mode, being it for the audio stream or the video one, because as you know, lossless HD audio formats requires to take exclusive access to the audio device and HDR is asking for exactly the same exclusive access but for the display and there seems to be the problem or somewhere around that.

0 Kudos
NNach1
Beginner

I've decided to perform a clean Windows install and guess what ... Everything is working. It seems something has totally messed up at some point but now all is fine.

Thanks for your support and sorry for the inconvenience!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nachkov,

I am glad to hear issue has been fixed. Do not hesitate to contact us back if you have any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos