Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Refuses to Accept IP Address

JSher3
Beginner

Hello,

As of Yesterday, around 1:16 PM EST, my computer suddenly stopped connecting to the Internet. I have tested it on both my Wifi network (and Ethernet), as well as a hotspot on my phone just to make sure it wasn't the network. All other devices have no problems on the network. I can connect to the Wifi itself without an issue, but once I'm connected, I am unable to continue to the internet. Beneath the name of the network in the list of networks, it says, "No Internet, secured". When I troubleshoot the connection, it says, "'Wi-Fi' doesn't have a valid IP configuration," which is corroborated by my friend, who is the owner of the network, looking at the device list; my computer shows as connected, but it doesn't have an IP address, and he is unable to give it one.

I have gone through the steps of restarting my computer and the router, and I have reinstalled my Wifi drivers, making sure to delete the settings on the existing drivers before installing the new ones.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm about to start my third semester of college, and I kind of need Wifi.

Thanks,

~Infynis

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Infynis,

We understand that your PC with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 is not connecting to the internet. We checked about the behavior you describe, network showing "No Internet, secured" and the error "Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration". In many cases these are caused by Windows* or network configuration issues, not always by the network adapter, specially if the issue happens also with Ethernet connections and when you try to connect to any other Wireless access point.

Our main recommendation is to follow the actions recommended in the following Microsoft* document: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues Fix network connection issues in Windows 10. It is recommended to try these 1 by 1 and in the order they are written, as these actions normally solve this type of issue.

Note: 3rd party links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

If the issue persists, please provide the following:

- What were the results of the actions mentioned in the Microsoft* document?

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Adding to Jonathan's suggestions, you say that your friend was not able to give your computer an IP address.

This suggests to me that the router being use is not configured for DHCP and that your friend is handing out static IPs for the internal network.

If this is the case, and he has made the error of having two computers with the same IP address, this will easily explain why you are seeing the error you have.

Verify that your wi-fi and your friend's router are properly configured. The easiest is to have your computer configured for DHCP for both your IP and for your DNS. Plus, his router should be set to have a dhcp pool that is large enough to support the devices that connect to his router.

If your friend insists on using static address internally, then he must confirm that no two devices have the same address.

Doc

0 Kudos
JSher3
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions. We only actually tried to give my PC a static IP after we found it didn't have a normal one. No other devices on the network have static IPs. After it had no effect, we returned my computer to a normal IP, which it has still not accepted. Additionally, the problem persists over other networks as well.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Is your computer a laptop or desktop? If laptop, was the 8260 part of the original configuration or was it added later?

Doc
0 Kudos
JSher3
Beginner

It's a https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S13Z85803 laptop. The 8260 was part of the original hardware. I haven't modified it at all.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Thanks for the info. I cannot help further. The Intel Support Staff may have more suggestions.

Doc

0 Kudos
JSher3
Beginner

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately no effects from the Windows tips.I have attached the Windows analysis html file, a text file with the output of the command prompt, and the report from the SSU. I can't make much of it, but I imagine you can.

Thanks again for the help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Infynis,

We checked the logs and the adapter itself seems to be working correctly, the 8260 is detected and operational. The cause of the problem seems to be in the network configuration (PC or router).

We did notice that the "ipconfig /all" shows a preferred IP and subnet mask, but no Default gateway. Please make sure that your system is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically". If your network uses static IP addressing, verify that you filled the IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway boxes.

For more information about this, please check the following document from Microsoft*: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15089/windows-change-tcp-ip-settings Change TCP/IP settings

Note: 3rd party links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

If the issue persists at this point, you can try a clean installation of the wireless driver:

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.70.0] or the latest version available from your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Note that if the same issue happens when you use the Ethernet (Wired) connection, then it suggests that the cause of the problem is not the wireless adapter.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
Tbeck
Beginner
I’ve done everything suggested here and more. It happens with WiFi, Bluetooth, AND Ethernet. What does that “suggest”?
0 Kudos
Tbeck
Beginner
Thank you Scott. I appreciate your time and skill set. I followed your advice and I did power boot the router - I didn’t realize I had so many AI devices until I had to unplugg all of them. I also checked firewall(s) in the system root-all are off. Downstream? Can you elaborate? I ordered a new card/chip (checked the hardware connections and all was good).
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Infynis,

We have not heard back from you in a while. Has the issue been resolved?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If its both WiFi and Ethernet, I would say that there is either a firewall or downstream problem. Have you tried power cycling your internet router?

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos