Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Router does not see hostname with Intel Wireless-AC 8260

RHipp
Beginner

Greetings Intel Friends!

I recently purchased a Xiaomi Air 13 and I noticed that it's the only device on my network that doesn't properly send it's Hostname to the router upon DHCP lease. Despite me assigning the Hostname "MiAir", an odd hostname, DESKTOP-EGLRPS4, always shows up in my router's "client list". I have tried an Arch Linux distro, Ubuntu, and Windows 10 to no avail with the Intel Wireless-AC 8260. I have also installed the drivers Wireless_19.70.0_PROSet64_Win10 drivers located here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86068/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8260 Downloads for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

The only thing that's made a difference is using another adapter. It's a Real Ralink RT5370 commonly supplied with Raspberry Pis 2 & 3. After connecting to my home network with this adapter, my assigned hostname now appears in the client list. The thing that boggles my mind is that I cannot find a reference to DESKTOP-EGLRPS4 anywhere.

Unfortunately, assigning a static IP and Device name with the router isn't an acceptable solution in this instance. I'm hoping Intel Support might know the solution, because I'm not very fluent in Cantonese _

I'm going to give some earlier driver versions a shot as well, but please help! Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Rockford,

We understand that you are seeing and odd computer name in the clients list of your wireless router. Please keep in mind that this situation may be caused by the OS, access point, or the computer itself. We would like to check the system and look for any issues in the wireless adapter.

- If you browse the network with Windows* explorer from another client, which name do you see the name of your PC?

- Is there a specific reason why you need the new name to be displayed in the router?

- Was the 8260 the adapter built from factory with this PC?

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RHipp
Beginner

Hello, Jonathan. Thank you for the kind reply!

- If you browse the network with Windows* explorer from another client, which name do you see the name of your PC?

• The XiaoMi hostname I set in Advanced system settings / Computer Name is visible from another computer on the same network (screenshot attached).

- Is there a specific reason why you need the new name to be displayed in the router?

• When I'm using Linux, it's the only easy way to SSH into the device and I don't always have access to the routers I use away from home.

- Was the 8260 the adapter built from factory with this PC?

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

• I've attached the requested.

I appreciate your time, Jon,

-Rocky

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rockford,

We checked the information and the log does not show any reference to the name "DESKTOP-EGLRPS4". We would like to mention that this may not be caused by the wireless adapter, it could be Windows* or the access point reporting the old name associated with the AC 8260. Here are few additional actions for your consideration:

- In the System Properties, in addition to entering the computer description, click on "Change" to rename this computer or change its domain or workgroup. Enter the new name and reboot, then check if it helps.

- To discard issues from the adapter side, perform a clean installation of the driver:

1. Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.70.0] or the latest version available from your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Let us know if there is any change after these actions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RHipp
Beginner

Hello again, Jonathan!

To remove all doubt, I decided to format the entire Hard drive and start with a new installation of Windows 10. I skipped past the wireless setup so that I could uninstall the default windows 10 drivers and install the latest driver.

I examined the default generated computer name and it is similar, but not "DESKTOP-EGLRPS4".

Once I installed the latest driver version, I modified Domain and Workgroup settings and restarted the PC.

I connected to my wireless network and the same "DESKTOP-EGLRPS4" still appears in the list! I also tried to connect with 5G radio and the same result.

I decided to connect my phone to bluetooth, and it does not see "DESKTOP-EGLRPS4," but it sees the new computer name I assigned after formatting! Bluetooth is part of the Wireless-AC 8260, correct?

Finally, I confirmed that my CanaKit MediaTek adapter sees the same name as My Phone did when I set the PC to discoverable.

Wifi - "DESKTOP-EGLRPS4"

Wifi 5G "DESKTOP-EGLRPS4"

My iPhone 6s - Sees assigned hostname (bluetooth)

My CanaKit MediaTek - Router now sees the assigned hostname.

0 Kudos
RHipp
Beginner

Here is what it looks like when I use my CanaKit adapter. No issues with the hostname.

I am willing to help in any way possible if this actually appears to be an issue. Including removing the unit to send to Intel!

Again, Thank you for your assistance. I hope you have a nice weekend!

-Rockford

0 Kudos
RHipp
Beginner

After checking my old router, the problem appears to be with the ASUS RT-AC1900P fw: 3.0.0.4.380_3831

My old Asus RT-N16 with Tomato firmware sees everything correctly. Sorry for the troubles!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rockford,

We're glad to hear that you were able to pin-point the source of the issue.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Best regards.
0 Kudos