Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Ipmitool lan print 1 returns Invalid channel: 1

RandallL_S_Intel
Employee

Prior to replacing the 3V battery on the mother board, this command: "Ipmitool lan print 1" returned useful information. Now the command returns: Invalid channel: 1.

Did I lose a configuration setting and if so, what change do I need to make?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello rlsmith,

Thanks for joining the community.

I understand your issue but before telling you anything could you please specify what server board model are you referring to exactly? Where are you trying to run this command at? EFI shell? What other chances have you done recently besides changing the CMOS battery that obviously reset BIOS to defaults?

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rlsmith,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
RandallL_S_Intel
Employee

Jose,

Thank you for the reply.

The commands were executed from the CLI as root logged into the system. The BIOS and BMC firmware were updated on 3/15/18 and this command (ipmitool lan print 1) worked after the upgrade and a power cycle. The only change I made was to set the dedicated lan interface in the BMC to STATIC and assign a static IP address. The original setting was Dynamic and the NIC bound to address: 10.2.3.252. Interestingly enough, the system still responds to a ping at 10.2.3.252, but when booting into the BIOS, the setting is static and the address 10.2.100.126.

Here are the results of running two ipmitool/util commands:

[root@onyx-126 ~]# ipmitool lan print 1

Invalid channel: 1

Also this command fails with more information:

[root@onyx-126 ~]# ipmiutil lan -r

ipmiutil ver 3.08

ilan ver 3.08

-- BMC version 1.51, IPMI version 2.0

This system does not support IPMI LAN channels.

ipmiutil lan, request not supported

Here are the details on the system board:

Board Mfg Date : Wed Apr 15 18:45:00 2015

Board Mfg : Intel Corporation

Board Product : S2600WT2

Board Serial : BQWL51650348

Board Part Number : H21573-360

Product Manufacturer : Intel Corporation

Product Name : S2600WT2

Here are the details on the BMC:

ipmitool mc info

Device ID : 33

Device Revision : 1

Firmware Revision : 1.51

IPMI Version : 2.0

Manufacturer ID : 343

Manufacturer Name : Intel Corporation

Product ID : 111 (0x006f)

Product Name : Unknown (0x6F)

Device Available : yes

Provides Device SDRs : no

Additional Device Support :

Sensor Device

SDR Repository Device

SEL Device

FRU Inventory Device

IPMB Event Receiver

IPMB Event Generator

Chassis Device

Aux Firmware Rev Info :

0x01

0x07

0x86

0x2b

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Rlsmith

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rlsmith,

Thanks for the info provided.

The fact that your system pings to the previously set IP address makes me think that there are some older configurations still saved in the BMC. Sometimes when weird issues like this happen we can try to do a BIOS defaults (F9) and then save changes and reboot. Could you please try this, even when it sounds repetitive, and let us know. Of course you will need to setup the BMC IP address again.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
RandallL_S_Intel
Employee

Hello Jose,

I've reset the BIOS and configured the dedicated NIC to the address I want to use. Now, neither address responds to a ping and the ipmitool lan print 1 command continues to fail. Ipmitool will return the MC information as before. Do you have any other suggestions as to how I can get SOL working again?

Thanks again,

rlsmith

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rlsmith,

We will try to replicate your issue in our labs. We will keep you posted with our findings.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rlsmith,

We would like you to try a peer to peer connection between the server BMC port (previously setup with an static IP address and subnet mask) and a computer or laptop also with a static IP address and subnet mask. Try to access the BMC console directly from the computer. If it works then there is no problem with the BMC management port. At this point you could try to run the ipmi command. If the previous steps works fine then it is possible that your issue is network related.

Let us know how it goes

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rlsmith,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rlsmith,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Jose A.
0 Kudos