Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4775 Discussions

S5000 board - CPU fan at full speed

FNils1
Novice

Hi.

I have a S5000VSA board where the CPU fan goes at full speed 24/7.

The board is in a non-intel chassis

I have tried to update the bios and reset it to defaults. (via jumper on the board and in the bios)

I have also set in BIOS - Throttling Mode [Auto] / Altitude [300m or less] / Set Fan Profile [Acoustic]

The chassis intrusion juper is shorted.

Ony one cpu/fan is installed.

On power on the fan goes to 100%, then throttles down to "quiet mode" and then up to full speed, and stays there.

Any ideas on how to adjust the speed?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Frank,

Please try these troubleshooting s steps:

1. Confirm if the RAM being used has been https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007244/server-products.html validated and that meets all the requirements for the Intel® Server Board S5000VSA.

2. Make sure that the cover of the chassis is properly set.

3. Remove all the fans from the chassis and the plug them pack again.

4. Run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/77877/Intel-Server-Board-S5000VSA-Family Firmware update package.

5. Check if the fans are plug into the SYS_FAN or into the CPU_FAN.

6. If the fans are connected into the CPU_FAN advise to test them on the SYS_FAN connection.

Finally, check the following URL for more information:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005890/server-products.html

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
FNils1
Novice

Hi Sergio.

Thanks for your answer!

Please see my answers to your questions:

1. The RAM should be validated. The board uses 4 x Kingston KVR667D2D8F5. (i have also tested with other mem)

2. The cover is on, but that shouldn't matter, because this is a non-intel chassis with no switch connected to the cover.

3. I have re-plugged all fans with no result.

4. Firmware is latest, and I have tested to re-install it also. (via bootable dos usb stick)

5. The CPU fant (witch makes the noise) is plugged in to CPU_1 connector. I have also tested it in CPU_2 and som of the chassis fan connectors. - Same result.

6. Se pt.5. When I connect to a SYS_FAN it goes at 100% all the time, but in CPU_1 or 2 it goes to 100% when power on, then goes down to normal speed for 2-3 seconds, and then to full speed again.

Any other ideas would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
FNils1
Novice

Update:

Tried reconfiguring the FRU and that seems to do the trick!

The CPU fan gears down after power on, and it is now possible to be in the same room

Downloaded the bios package and boot from usb stick (DOS) and run command "frusdr /cfg master.cfg" and go thru the wizzard.

idata
Employee

Hello Frank Nilsen,

Thank you for letting us know issue seems to be fixed after reconfiguring the FRU.

Please monitor the system and let us know if any further assistance is required.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Caesar B_Intel.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Frank,

We are glad to hear that you were able to solve your problem.

Feel free to contact us back in case you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos