Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4751 Discussions

R2308WFTZS and Xeon Gold 6128

CRoec1
Beginner

Hi experts,

we set up a system based on Server R2308WFTZ with Dual Xeon Support. We selected 2x Xeon Gold 6128 for our purpose.

However we are not able to get the system running. We installed both CPUs and 96 GB ECC ram (Kingston Ram KVR24R17S8K4) in total.

The fan of the power supply start running for a short amount of time (~0.5sec) and nothing else happens.

If just the first CPU installed, the system starts as expected. If the CPU of second socket is installed in the first Socket it starts too. As soon as a CPU is installed to the second socket the system does not start.

So in my opionion the CPU can´t be the problem. Also swapped RAM without any effect.

What can I test? Do I miss something?

Thanks a lot,

Christian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ChristianR,

Thanks for joining the community.

At first sight it might looks like the issue is related to the socket # 2 on the board. Even thou we have to discard any other options first.

When both CPUs are installed are you able to hear any beeping codes in a pattern like 1-5-4-1 or similar?

Is there any PCI devices installed?

Have you tried both CPUs with 1 RAM module only?

If you are able to boot up the system with 1 CPU only could you try to do a factory defaults in BIOS?

Let us know how it goes

Jose A.
0 Kudos
CRoec1
Beginner

When both CPUs are installed I don´t hear any beeping codes.

There is no PCI device installed.

I tried minimal configuration; both CPUs installed with 1 RAM module only. It is same result - not working.

I am able to boot the system with just 1 CPU in socket1. The Intel support suggested to do an firmware update - in addition to a factory default and CMOS reset.

Firmware update was successfull but is the same problem still exists.

(A case# has already been created by Intel Customer Support.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ChristianR,

The troubleshooting steps suggested by support are definitely recommended and required in case of and eventual board replacement. Actually because of this same reason it would be better to continue this case directly with support since if a board RMA would be necessary we won't be able to process it for you. So I think I will proceed to mark this thread as completed. If you have any other questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ChristianR,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ChristianR,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Jose A.
0 Kudos