Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

External screen max resolution

DHrbe
Beginner

Hi, I purchased an external screen (AOC Q3279VWF) I want to use with my laptop (MSI GE620DX). The screen's resolution is QHD (2560x1440), but when I connect it to my laptop via HDMI, it allows me to use only FullHD (1920x1080) resolution and my Windows 10 states it is recommended resolution. Is there a way I can utilize the full resolution of the screen?

I checked the specifications for my dedicated graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GT555M) as well as the integrated one (Intel HD Graphics 3000). For the latter, I found that it supports 2500x1600 via Display Port and only 1920x1200 via HDMI/DVI/VGA. My laptop only has HDMI or VGA though.

I also found and tried guides to add a custom resolution in the Intel Graphics driver, but when I tried to switch my screen to that resolution, I got black screen with message "Resolution Not Support". I am not sure I set the correct parameters there though. I tried 2560x1440 with different refresh rates (30 Hz to 55 Hz) and different timing standards, but all lead to the same result.

Dedicated Nvidia graphics on the other hand should support digital resolution up to 2560 x 1600 (VGA up to 2048 x 1536), so via HDMI it should be sufficient. However, even when I set that dedicated graphics should be used at all times, Windows still seem to use the Intel Graphics. I found an article stating that all the graphics outputs are physically over Intel Graphics and Nvidia is used only for more demanding computations but the data are passed to the Intel Graphics. I gather this would mean I cannot actually use the resolution supported by Nvidia, but only that supported by Intel Graphics. Is that correct?

Could you give me any suggestions of what I could try? For example set of parameters for the Intel Graphics custom resolution setup. Or if you are absolutely positive that it is not possible to utilize the full resolution of my screen it would help as well.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DHrbe
Beginner

Ok, so I have managed to make it work by adding a custom resolution in Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel's Advanced Mode (right click on desktop -> Graphics Properties... -> Advanced Mode -> Custom Resolutions under Display menu). The parameters that worked for me in the end are 2560 x 1440, 55 Hz refresh rate, 32 bit color depth, and CVT-RB timing standard. Don't know why my previous trials didn't work, I probably didn't set a correct combination of parameters. BTW this article was helpful regarding the topic: https://www.notebookcheck.net/2560x1440-or-2560x1600-via-HDMI.92840.0.html 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 via HDMI - NotebookCheck.net Tech

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello DavidHrbek,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

The Maximum Display Resolution for the 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Graphics (HD Graphics) is 1920x1080 via HDMI/VGA only. Keep in mind that the resolution you are trying to set can only be done by using DisplayPort*. In this case, the motherboard in your laptop limits the maximum resolution up to 1920x1080 by not supporting DisplayPort*.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
DHrbe
Beginner

Ok, so I have managed to make it work by adding a custom resolution in Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel's Advanced Mode (right click on desktop -> Graphics Properties... -> Advanced Mode -> Custom Resolutions under Display menu). The parameters that worked for me in the end are 2560 x 1440, 55 Hz refresh rate, 32 bit color depth, and CVT-RB timing standard. Don't know why my previous trials didn't work, I probably didn't set a correct combination of parameters. BTW this article was helpful regarding the topic: https://www.notebookcheck.net/2560x1440-or-2560x1600-via-HDMI.92840.0.html 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 via HDMI - NotebookCheck.net Tech

0 Kudos