Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

What's different between Non Vpro and ME disable configuration?

LS3
Beginner

What's different between Non Vpro and ME disable configuration?

Can I say Non Vpro=ME disable ?

If not , what's different?

Thanks~!!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello hijasonkidd,

Thanks for joining the community.

First of all let me clarify some terms.

vPro is pretty much and umbrella term to englobe some features on Intel processors, network interphase adapters, chipset and such. You can read a bit more in the following URL: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/core-vpro-processor-family-brief.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/core-vpro-processor-family-brief.pdf

About the Intel Management Engine go to: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008927/software/chipset-software.html?wapkw=management+engine https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008927/software/chipset-software.html?wapkw=management+engine

As you can see both things are different but are somehow related. For example the Intel Active Management Technology (that is part of the vPro Technology) make use of the ME in order to have remote access of a client computer for management purposes. So, if by any chance you could disable ME you will lose the vPro features.

Hope this helps

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hijasonkidd,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hijasonkidd,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Jose A.
0 Kudos
LS3
Beginner

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your feedback !

I mean some CPU like i3, i5/I7 tran that are Non Vpro system,

Can I say, if we disable ME from VPRO(i5/i7) will be equal to those Non VPRO system?
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hijasonkidd,

If you disable the ME from a vPro system will make it equivalent to a non vPro system. I think this is correct. To me, it will always be a vPro system with its features disabled, but if you have security concerns then definitely disabling the ME will make it a non vPro for all purposes.

Hope this helps.

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hijasonkidd,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hijasonkidd,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Jose A.
0 Kudos
LS3
Beginner

Jose, thank you !

Also wanna know what's different between Consumer CPU and Corporate CPU? (From VPro/NonVPro point of view)
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hijasonkidd,

Certainly this is a difficult question from vPro stand point.

Usually consumer CPUs are the ones found on personal computers for home and office environment. These processor could be Atom, Pentium, Core i3, i5, i7, etc. The top of the line of this processors usually are vPro capable but vPro depends on chipset and network interface so not just a CPU will make a computer vPro capable.

On the other side corporate CPUs could be server, workstation, compute nodes and other high power processors. These CPUs are not vPro capable since servers have different management methods integrated on the board itself called BMC (board management controller).

vPro and specifically Active Management Technology (AMT) is important for consumer computers because it allows to do large scale deployments and management like about 1000+ computers without need to be physically present at the site.

Hope this answer your question.

Jose A.
0 Kudos
LS3
Beginner

Thank you Jose, learn a lot from you !!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Its been my pleasure.

Regards.

Jose A.
0 Kudos