Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

Its maybe a stupid question about I-RST

Spete8
Beginner

Recently i used I RST .And now i can only see my D drive when i go to I RST but cannot see my D drive when i look at my drives or from disk management . I would like to know what happens if i uninstalled IRST will it return my D drive or will i loose all connects with my D drive. I have some important info on my D drive that i was in the process of backing up through my external drive. Caught so to speak with my pants down

Is there away to get my D drive back with out a restall or going into my BIOS. Please if there is an answer please make it a layman's answer i do not come from this sector. Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Recently you used RST how? What have you done?

0 Kudos
Spete8
Beginner

Hi i am trying to figure that one out for weeks i had a pop of the IRST and one day i pressed ok by accident, it was not my intent and now as you can see i can see the drive but cannot access it.Now the info is important like i said i was in the middle of backing up my 3d files.Is there away of understanding the foot steps or getting back my DATA ?

0 Kudos
Spete8
Beginner

In my BIOS the only two options i have are either RAID or ACHI settings as for my Storage controllers i have (Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller) or (Micro storage Spaces Controller)

0 Kudos
Spete8
Beginner

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, The first picture tells me that you took your system drive and your data drive and put them into a RAID0 array. RAID0 means that the two physical volumes become one logical volume and the contents of this one logical drive are striped across the two physical drives. This allows higher throughput because it can read from or write to the two physical drives simultaneously. Now, here's the issue: usually, when you do this type of creation operation, the contents of both drives are lost. It appears, however, that doing this from within Windows retained the contents of your system drive, but I believe it wiped out your data drive in the process...

...S

0 Kudos
Spete8
Beginner

Is there any way that i can get my D drive back to the way it was with out a complete reinstall?

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

A reinstall of the OS will not get back your data. HOWEVER, restoring a backup of your data will. You did have a backup, correct?

Note: Having raid does not mean you do not have to backup your data and/or system. You should always have a backup of (at least) your data.

Doc

0 Kudos
Spete8
Beginner

I got it, i lost my data. it was not what i was asking. i wanted to know if there was away to get my D drive back with out a complete reinstall. As for the data, like i said in the beginning of the thread i was in the middle of doing it.

If there is away to get my D drive back please point me in the rt direction.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

As has been explained regarding raid0, the answer is no.

For a better understanding of raid and its levels, read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID RAID - Wikipedia

Doc

0 Kudos
Spete8
Beginner

Thanks Al but i would rather you please stop writing on this message strand. I feel you are no help and frankly i would of thought Intel would of trained people a little bit better in terms of handling CUSTOMERS i have had better luck with N.Scott. Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I will continue to follow and monitor this "strand" for issues, and your language use which has already been illustrated to need monitoring (in ).

Also, this community has support staff and users to help with issues, and to monitor those users/customers who do not adhere to the rules. If you need a refresher on the community rules, you can find them here:

Just keep it clean, and follow the advice given.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oooo, touchy! You do realize that Al and I are both volunteers, right? We do not work for Intel (well, I did; but I am retired now) and we are not compensated for our time. We're here trying to help - so don't shoot the messengers!

You can go into the RST GUI and try removing the second drive from the array and/or deleting the array. If it warns that you will lose the contents of the system drive, then you are likely looking at a complete O/S reinstall. If not, then your system drive may survive and only the data drive will need to be reloaded.

Hope this helps ( I am not optimistic),

...S

Spete8
Beginner

N.Scott dont get me wrong i appreciate the help and i understand that you both are volunteering your time to help others.On that note i would like to thank you for your answer i found it direct and helpful. Have an awesome new year. Simeon CVO of Aquaai

0 Kudos