Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AC 7260 Ping Spikes in League of Legends and other games

SIfri
Beginner

Good evening everyone !

My girlfriend has an old defiance 2 with the wi fi adapter Inter AC 7260 and lately she started having awful lag spikes in online games like League of Legends. We both tried same wi fi network to make sure it wasn't the network itself being problematic but I get about 50-70 ms and she goes as high as 500 even for minutes at a time.

I tried reinstalling the windows and it worked for a few days. Then I tried unistalling and reinstalling the latest drivers. It didn't work at all.

I even tried this fix I found on a forum :

"- 802.11n channel Width for 2.4Ghz conenctions to 20mhz ONLY (Defualt is Auto)

- Prefered Band 2.4Ghz (Defualt is Auto)

- Roaming Agressiveness 1. Lowest (Defualt is 3. Medium)

- Wireless mode 802.11b/g (Defualt is 802.11a/b/g)" but it didn't work at all. Sometimes she gets spikes for about 5 seconds with the highest being 399 ms and then it gets back to 60-70. But this is still awful because a second in a team game can make the difference between win and loss.

The laptop also has a GTX 970M, intel I7 4710 HQ, 16 gb ram, CLEVO P65_P67SE (socket 0) motherboard.

Any ideas for a fix ?

Worth mentioning is that we tried 3 different wi fi networks with the same result.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello darcky,

We understand that you're experiencing ping spikes when connecting to Wi-Fi on your Defiance 2* laptop.

You mentioned the behaviour showed up recently. Do you remember if anything changed in the system when the ping spikes started (new software installed, system updates, etc.)?

For now, please test the following recommendations:

- Install the Windows* inbox wireless drivers (before you proceed, please download the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Intel generic or OEM driver in case you need to reinstall):
  1. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, or Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."
  2. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."
  3. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.
  4. Reboot your computer.

- Disable feature that may interfere with wireless connection:

• Bluetooth: This technology works on 2.4GHz, you may experience higher interference if connected to this band. Go to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth Off
  • Wi-Fi Sense: Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Sense Off
  • Location Service: Settings > Privacy > Location > Location service Off
  • P2P Updates: Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced settings > Choose how updates are delivered > Updates from more than one place Off

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
VMila1
Beginner

Did that laptop just get updated to Windows 10 1803?

I have been noticing similar issues (and worse) on my various laptops with 7260AC cards since 1803...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello darcky,

We haven't heard from you since the creation of the thread. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos