Items with no label
3335 Discussions

About the accuracy of Realsense D415 depth detection between 2.5 and 3 meters

ZQiu1
Beginner

Hi,

In my project, I need to detect the depth of the object on the ground of 4 meters width and 2.4 meters height, so I need to hang D415 about 3 meters above the ground.

It is currently in the testing phase, so I hung it about 2.8 meters high, but the depth it identified was very unstable,and the resolution I use is 1280*720. It often identifies a depth of 2.5 meters to 2.8 meters. 2.8 meters is the depth of the ground.

So I want to ask if the depth of D415 is more than 2 meters and it's not accurate? Or does it need to be calibrated?

Pray for a quick reply. Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

400 Series cameras can depth-sense up to 10 meters, so you are well within the maximum distance. The optimum resolution for depth sensing accuracy is the one that you are using, 1280*720. This is because as an object gets further away from the camera, accuracy can decrease when using low resolutions. So using a resolution of 848x400 or above is ideal.

Judging from past reports, 3 meters distance is the average distance when accuracy issues start setting in. So your report is consistent with those past reported results.

I assume that the camera is pointing downwards towards the ground instead of facing forwards as it hangs? This should not be a problem either, as RealSense cameras have been successfully orientated before in the downward-facing position.

May I ask if the camera is fully static, or if it is swaying around as it hangs? Or if the object it is scanning is moving?

0 Kudos
ZQiu1
Beginner

Yes,the camera is pointing downwards towards the ground,and the camera is fully static,It doesn't swing around as it hangs,My object will move, but testing phase object did not move。

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The reason I asked about whether the object or camera was moving is that the D415 is not the best choice for projects with moving objects, as it is best at static scanning. The D435 is the model best suited to sensing during motion because of the 'global' type of camera shutter it has, rather than the 'rolling shutter' the D415 has. Since the camera and object are static in your test though, that does not seem to be the cause of the depth accuracy deviation.

What you could try is using the camera's Visual Preset settings to change the balance of the camera's configuration. By setting the 'High Accuracy' preset instead of the default one, you can emphasize accuracy at the cost of a lower 'fill factor'.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/wiki/D400-Series-Visual-Presets D400 Series Visual Presets · IntelRealSense/librealsense Wiki · GitHub

In the RealSense Viewer, you can change the preset to High Accuracy in the Presets drop-down menu.

0 Kudos
ZQiu1
Beginner

Thank you very much! I am trying your advice and I will follow up your results.

0 Kudos