Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

AccessViolation in ig9icd64.dll

JLuer
Beginner

On a Dell laptop with Intel HD Graphics 520 driver version 23.20.16.4973, my application crashes when I click in an OpenGL window, with an AccessViolationException in ig9icd64.dll. I was able to work around the problem by turning off Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing for the application. This is a pretty simple, static OpenGL window, and the problem just showed up after recently updating the driver.

How can we get a fix for this problem?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jonhal,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I would like to gather basic system information. Please scan it using the DxDiag tool. Follow the steps below:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, please provide me with the application you are using.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
JLuer
Beginner

Wanner:

Thank you. The DxDiag.txt file is attached. The error was observed using the ADVIZOR Analyst/X application. (See www.advizorsolutions.com)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonhal,

Thank you for your response.

There is a newer version available at our Download Center and you can try installing it manually. Find additional information below:

Version: 24.20.100.6025 (Latest)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88355

Please follow these steps:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonhal,

Were you able to install the newest version available at our Download Center for Intel® HD Graphics 520?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
JLuer
Beginner

Thanks for following up. The person who had the problem is out for the rest of the week, but I can try the new driver next Tuesday…

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonhal,

Trying the steps provided next Tuesday will be fine. Please keep me updated if you still need any further help.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonhal,

Were you able to follow the steps to install a newer graphics driver for Intel® HD graphics 520?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
JLuer
Beginner

Wanner,

Not yet, but thanks for the reminder. I'll let you know what we find.

0 Kudos
NPate9
Beginner

I had a similar issue with my Dell XPS 13 9350. I tried rolling back the Dell drivers and they wouldn't. I was getting errors like the one below or the OpenGL app wouldn't load or had missing parts (Even the Dell SupportAssist was having issues)

Faulting application name: openscad.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x564d2b59

Faulting module name: ig9icd64.dll, version: 23.20.16.4973, time stamp: 0x5a96b1e5

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x0000000000023944

Faulting process id: 0x4270

Well I tried the above, and it worked! My driver is now 24.20.100.6094

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello neerpatel,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I am glad to hear that the steps provided above helped you fix the issue you were having. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
JLuer
Beginner

I downloaded and tried to install the latest driver, version 24.20.100.6094, but it wouldn't install and provided a link to an Intel web page saying Dell had customized the current driver, and I might lose some functionality if I installed the Intel one. Dell doesn't have anything newer, though. Should I install the Intel one anyway?

Thanks,

Jon L.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonhal,

It is always recommended to use the graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer first. In this case, you can also do a clean install of the graphics driver recommended for your system.

Try these steps below:

1.Disconnect your unit from the internet.

2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

-Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

-Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

3.Restart your system. Please go to the device manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

4.Once you do, please proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver version provided by your system manufacturer. Make sure you select the driver according your system.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e7470-ultrabook/drivers

5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again.

If the issue is not resolved, then you can try installing a newer generic version available at our Download Center.

For Intel® HD Graphics 520

Version: 24.20.100.6094 (Latest)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88355

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonhal,

Were you able to install the recommended driver for your system?

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
JLuer
Beginner

I've found another case like the original problem, on a customer system with an Intel HD 620 display adapter that doesn't have the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel available. In particular, I found that our application does not crash with driver version 22.20.16.4771, but it does crash with version 23.20.16.4973. As yet I haven't tried the newer Intel driver (not offered by Dell), version 24.20.100.6025.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jonhal,

I was wondering if you were able to try latest graphics driver. In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
MB_
Beginner

Dear,

I have a similar issue I believe. Not a real PC expert...

My Desktop worked perfect SW2018 up until recently when this issue popped up.

I did follow your advices and loaded release 6094 which seemed to resolve the issue for a while (2 months approx.).

Now, this access violation appears again with ig9icd64:00021A32 error.

I decided to downgrade to 6025 but it does not work either...

I am wondering if I am using the right driver as my Device Manager tells me that my Intel graphics card is a 630...

Attached is DxDiag file. Can you help please ?

0 Kudos
JGlas2
Beginner

My C# application is experiencing crashes from "AccessViolation" upon attempting to resize a window that utilizes OpenGL. Windows Event Viewer shows the error taking place in ig9icd32.dll when using Intel HD Graphics 520 driver version 25.20.100.6326. However, uninstalling the driver, and utilizing the default driver, which is version 21.20.16.4481, works completely fine.

Any fixes for this, or will we need to stay on the outdated driver?

0 Kudos