Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Washed out colors on external monitor

HDunn
Novice

When I plug my external monitor into my laptop over using a USB C/Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter the colors are washed out. When I'm plugged the built-in HDMI port everything is fine. This doesn't affect the built-in display.

The major difference between the two configurations appears to be that when I use the built-in port the Nvidia graphics card drives the display, but when I'm running over Thunderbolt the onboard Intel graphics chip is driving the display.

Now, the really crazy part is that if I open up the Intel Graphics Settings > Display > General Settings and I change any option then immediately hit Cancel it fixes the colors. The next time I reconnect the display or reboot the machine colors will be washed out again.

I took a quick video with my phone. It's super fuzzy, but you can see that I change the scaling setting from Maintain Display Scaling to Maintain Aspect Ratio, then just click Cancel. The display gets noticeably darker as the colors get fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnuMK7rphU www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnuMK7rphU

I've updated both Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers (24.20.100.6025 and 397.64 respectively). Tried a different Thunderbolt adapter. Tried playing with the color range in the Intel settings. I've also noticed the Video settings seem to do nothing, so the color range settings probably aren't even taking effect.

I suspect there's a bug in the Intel driver.

Laptop: Razer Blade 14" (Late 2017)

Monitor: ASUS PB277Q

CPU: i7-7700HQ

GPU: GTX 1060

Intel Graphic Driver: 24.20.100.6025

Nvidia Graphics Driver: 397.64

I've also attached graphics information from the Intel Graphics Settings.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
HDunn
Novice

Possibly related:

Seems there's a bug in recent driver versions where displays over USB-C are not recognized properly.

EDIT: Driver version 21.20.16.4678 indeed fixes the washed out colors. It didn't add the missing options under General Settings, but it's a step up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
HDunn
Novice

Possibly related:

Seems there's a bug in recent driver versions where displays over USB-C are not recognized properly.

EDIT: Driver version 21.20.16.4678 indeed fixes the washed out colors. It didn't add the missing options under General Settings, but it's a step up.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sycobob,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

Thank you for the information provided. I am glad to hear that you found a working workaround for the washed out issues reported.

We would like to hear your feedback so that we can improve your experience with Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel. Please go to the link below and share your thoughts regarding this issues. It will be highly appreciated.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/112438 https://communities.intel.com/thread/112438

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
JLaMe1
Novice

Yeah, same here! My USB C monitor now matches the colors on the HDMI monitor with the 4678 driver!

As you also mentioned, the option to enable full quantization range is missing on the USB-C connected monitor, but it seems it is applying it.

Sidenote: How do you prevent window from auto-updating the driver?

0 Kudos
HDunn
Novice

I haven't done anything to prevent it. It hasn't auto-updated so far. I'm actually not sure if I've ever noticed it auto-updating my Intel graphics driver. It was slightly out of date when before I updated to the newest then rolled back to the slightly-less-broken version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello saiyanzzrage,

Thank you for your feedback.

We would like to hear any feedback on any aspect of the Graphics Control Panel. You can go to the following link below:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/112438 https://communities.intel.com/thread/112438

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
SLumm
Beginner

I have the same problem when using usb-c to hdmi cable. Rolling back to 4678 driver fixed the problem, but obviously i would want use latest drivers. On latest drivers changing ycbcr off-on-off fixes the problem temporarily for couple of seconds but it reverts back to poor after that, (washed out, banding on color band test.)

0 Kudos
HSelm
Beginner

Iam Having the same issue when i connect my Apple cinema HD display to my Xps 9550 Using the USB C adapter

i tried installing the drivers you recommended ant it wont install at all

0 Kudos
NKons
Beginner

Same problem when external Dell monitor is connected to my laptop via USB C to HDMI adapter.

When I'm plugged the built-in HDMI port everything is fine as well.

The workaround on Intel Graphics Settings > Display > General Settings works.

When I rolled back to my previous driver version, the problem existed and persisted (no fix) when I tried the workaround

Just to note that I have a xiaomi laptop and when I try to install general drivers from intel for integrated 620 graphics card, I

get an error that drivers are controlled by manufacturer (or something similar)

Any news about this issue?

0 Kudos
CMeij
Novice

Temporary solution (till next login or boot) is:

Go to Graphics Control Panel > Display. Then, for instance, change the value of the Refresh rate or Resolution. Don't apply but choose Cancel. Et voila! The full range of colors is there. Strange...

BTW Choosing the Full range option in the Video section does not fix it.

RScho8
Beginner

Oh, wow, worked! I was sceptic but after hitting cancel the colors kicked in. Super trick 😉

0 Kudos
apb6708
Beginner

It's 2021 and this still works hahaha. I've been banging my head on my desk for two days 😂. My PC would sometimes boot with the right colors or with the washed out one like a lottery. 

This truly fixed it: "Go to Graphics Control Panel > Display. Then, for instance, change the value of the Refresh rate or Resolution. Don't apply but choose Cancel. Et voila! The full range of colors is there. "

While this worked for me once: "BTW Choosing the Full range option in the Video section does not fix it."

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos